Black Lives Matter. Still

7 Likes
18 Likes

Sleeping while Black.

Add it to the list I guess (if it isnt already there)

15 Likes

But he had a vape!! He was obviously up to no good and deserved what he got. I mean, he was obviously no angel! And also Black, soā€¦

gross james van der beek GIF

Good God, when does this shit end? When there are actual consequences, of course.

16 Likes

Sigh. Of course they did.

angry cate blanchett GIF

10 Likes

That was an assassination.

These cases simply cannot be investigated locally. Iā€™m glad to see itā€™s being investigated by the Ohio BCI, but it really should be a federal investigation every time police kill unarmed BIPOC.

ETA: DoJ was already investigating Columbus police after previous shootings. Hereā€™s hoping this results in a consent decree that allows the city to reorg the PD to be less toxic.

14 Likes

Ann Arbor is about the same size as Columbus with fairly similar demographics (Columbus is definitely more working class, though), but the difference in the police departments is incredibly stark. Ann Arbor cops shot one person in about 25 years, and there was an uproar and officers all were given reinforcing training. Columbus police seem to shoot people all. the. time. People here demand Community Policing, and it makes a world of difference in how shooty a police force is.

12 Likes
9 Likes

President Joe Biden says he hopes his proposal to forgive federal student loans will narrow the nationā€™s racial wealth gap.

Um, yeah, but noā€¦

Bidenā€™s Student Loan Scam

https://www.blackagendareport.com/bidens-student-loan-scam

Of course college should be free and student loan debt should be forgiven. The issue is of great importance to Black people, who are usually unable to pay very little if any tuition and incur debt from the first day of school. White people are more likely to have assets and family resources they can tap. They may not incur any student loan debt at all unless they attend graduate school.

The rationale for this catastrophe is quite simple. The race to the bottom is an essential part of the corporate drive to keep Americans desperate. The living wage work that is the holy grail for college students is less likely to exist. The international capitalist overlords want the system to be this way, and they have created a system which keeps everyone, including the educated, in a grip of stagnant wages, insecure employment, and a diminishing social safety net.

Senator Joe Biden played a role in creating these terrible conditions. In 2005 he and 17 other democrats joined republicans in voting for the Bankruptcy Act, which made it all but impossible to discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy. The Delaware senator was beholden to the consumer credit industry, like all of that stateā€™s elected officials. They were the drivers in ensuring that filing for bankruptcy for any reason would become very difficult and they were always among Bidenā€™s biggest campaign contributors.

Of course Biden knows what people need and want. During his campaign he said , ā€œI propose to forgive all undergraduate tuition-related federal student debt from two- and four-year public colleges and universities for debt-holders earning up to $125,000.ā€ At other times he included Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in this debt forgiveness plan.

It is easy to point out the discrepancy between what he promised and what he now proposes, but the problem is bigger than the laundry list of Biden campaign lies. There is great confusion among Black people about student loan debt relief, what it will really accomplish, and what is actually needed.

8 Likes
15 Likes

Why do i suspect one of those (not available in all states) qualifiers will get tagged on this?

10 Likes

Offer definitely void in Nebraska.

8 Likes

And Texas and Florida and Idaho and Oklahoma andā€¦

9 Likes

ā€¦and of course

5 Likes

Was not sure where else to put this (and will happily move it, if people think it doesnā€™t work in this thread), butā€¦

I think a question to ask thatā€™s entirely legit is whether or not Black success in capitalism is treated differently than white success? But obvious, the term capitalist was not just made up to delegitimize Black success. Soā€¦

Dr House Idk GIF

11 Likes

Aside from the obvious, Capitalism thrives on oppression, while the n-word is all about being on the receiving end of oppression?

10 Likes

Yeah, it is treated differently. Money doesnā€™t protect the rich from racism, it just changes how they encounter and navigate it. Within the community thereā€™s the divide between people happy for those who are successful and those who will accuse the rich of selling out, forgetting their roots, not doing enough for others, etc. I donā€™t like the comparison of terms at all, but can understand how wehe would come to view being called a capitalist as an attack - especially when the gap between the haves and the have nots gets worse every year.

GAH - ETA - he, NOT we! Thanks, @docosc for helping me catch that!

11 Likes

I have a feeling that those of us outside your community just canā€™t truly understand the impact of those labels. To me, they are not similar at all. But if you tell me that in the Black community, that reads differently, i can only respect you for it.

9 Likes

Same here. Now, Iā€™m wondering how many millions makes people connect those dots in their heads (other than just generally feeling attacked). The n-word is about something beyond your control, but he could always give that money away, right?

12 Likes

Jay Z is a capitalist, and unfuck him if he doesnt like hearing the truth.

To me, either; Sean Carter is talking out the side of his ass, probably because heā€™s avoiding paying any taxes taxes at all, just like most of the the 1 percent.

F U J Z

15 Likes