Black Lives Matter. Still

More reactions to this decision:

19 Likes

This will not be news to many, I am sure, but there is solid research to cite on it:

19 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF

14 Likes

That’s “access denied” here which is a pity as I’d like to read it.

8 Likes

Try this link instead:

15 Likes

Thanks. I went looking for Caribbean newspapers but of course I should have been looking specifically at Suriname and St Maartens.

And yes, sorry is just a word. And people don’t have to give the oppressor the absolution he craves so that he can “move on”. This is a conversation that everyone in Europe has to join in because the entire continent is enriched by enslavement. Whether that be Ireland as we were part of the British empire and people in Ireland were part of that capital network or Britain (in the bizarre non sequitur in that argument they say it was banned there in 1809 or something which is only partially true and investment and ownership continued much later).

17 Likes

Although so many people treat it otherwise, and steadfastly refuse to even say it.

16 Likes

It’s a start…

21 Likes

The psychologist’s testimony should encourage Ft. Worth to settle the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit generously with Jefferson’s family, but no amount of money can balance their loss.

The witnesses for the murderous police officer should feel shame. I don’t care how many church concerts you organize, if you murder someone in their home when your duty is to protect them, you’re an evil shit.

Edit: correcting the victim’s name. I am an idiot.

19 Likes

rupauls drag race bingo GIF

Also… same for the Americas, and any state dominated by people of European descent.

15 Likes

His self-ranking from 1 to 10 told me something, and – for me – Jefferson’s sister’s comment (“I pity your ignorance,” “You do not know enough to be ashamed; you’re not self-aware enough to understand your responsibility for this evil act.”) nails it.

14 Likes

Former residents of a formerly Black Seattle neighborhood now known as the Central District are working to document their hometown’s rich Black heritage – and want to provide a blueprint to other cities for preserving hyper-local Black history.

The Seattle Griot Project is named for a West African phrase for a community historian, the “repository of oral tradition” through storytelling, poetry and music. In practice, it will be a highly visual platform for recording and indexing local oral histories from everyday people

11 Likes

“Rose (was) a survivor of an act of racial terrorism… tears streamed down her face Wednesday as she began to remember the pain she watched her mother endure over the years. She was beginning to understand, as everything was falling into place. “

17 Likes

Currently not paywalled.

15 Likes

Shoot, it is now. :frowning:

10 Likes

Here ya go:

https://archive.ph/2023.01.03-031507/https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/02/devon-henry-confederate-statues-richmond/

13 Likes

Thanks! I don’t know why the archive thing never works for me.
That was a great read.

8 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes