Black Lives Matter. Still

More anti-protest legislation…property over people:

17 Likes

Yes, and groups that threaten power structures and profits are virtually always left-wing.

This just isn’t historically defensible. Left-wing movements upset the existing order because they focus on giving autonomy or power to a group that traditionally has been denied it. Most right-wing movements however entrench and bolster existing power structures; often taking the form of tacit agreements between financial power and poor white men to impose a social hierarchy that extends them privilege in exchange for protecting corporate power.

For instance, you mentioned Occupy. There was an obvious right-wing counterpoint in the Tea Party which was corporate-funded astroturf aligning capitalist raiders with racist mid-americans screaming “patriotism”

The FBI has occasionally prosecuted violent right-wing groups and repeatedly murdered left-wing leaders* because the FBI (like all law enforcement) is ultimately charged with protecting money over people which is inherently a right-wing position. But then you’re free to disagree

*read this thread for some examples

14 Likes

im still on the fence if property damage is violence.

i’m much more concerned by people attacking the capitol or power stations, men threatening beat people up or men waving guns, or white supremacists in general than i am people breaking the windows of a target.

corporations do worse every day, and society rarely classifies their doings as violence

10 Likes

I think that’s because how much property damage hurts people varies tremendously. Break some poor person’s window and they are going to be cold and go hungry to save enough to fix it. Set fire to fourteen unoccupied police cars and they are going to have to fill out a form to order new ones.

14 Likes

yeah. i feel like people get angry sometimes because the system sucks.

would we lived in a world where that anger wasn’t necessary. i definitely feel that’s the part government ( local and federal ) should be most concerned with.

the windows are fractions of pennies compared to the cost of lost opportunities and lost lives

9 Likes

The contents of this guy’s home left me :astonished:. The sentence doesn’t seem to reflect the number of charges, though:

15 Likes
15 Likes
16 Likes

Ongoing protests in Gulfport over the police killing 15yo Jaheim McMillan. Four months and no footage has been released and they won’t even say what cop shot him. There needs to be federal laws on handling of police shootings; as long as it is up to cops what is released there won’t be accountability

16 Likes

Remember the thread derail about how food couldn’t be racist (regarding Aramark deciding to serve chicken, waffles, and watermelon on the first day of Black History Month)?

Banana peels. Yes, food can be aggressively racist:

18 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

11 Likes

Ugh. Remember those cops who posted Halloween photos including their “Black-o-lantern,” made from a watermelon instead of a pumpkin?
They know exactly what they’re doing.

15 Likes

Yesterday was the anniversary of the 1909 founding of the NAACP:

19 Likes

The history of the anthem, “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing:”

ETA more facts: 4 Things You Didn’t Know About "Lift Every Voice and Sing"

16 Likes
17 Likes

More on that…

I will also note that there is an ongoing attempt to carve Buckhead (which is whiter, and wealthier than the rest of ATL) out of the city here in ATL… representatives who do not represent any districts in the city are once again trying to get this passed as a ballot measure…

14 Likes

(Excerpt) “[The study] suggests that the well-documented Black-white gap in infant and maternal health that’s been discussed a lot in recent years is not just explained by differences in economic circumstances,” said Maya Rossin-Slater, an economist studying health policy at Stanford and an author of the study. “It suggests it’s much more structural.”

15 Likes

Just heard something about this on NPR this week. They’ve been doing a whole series over the last few years so it was hard to find the one I heard, but same takeaway.
Basically, wealthy Black women have worse outcomes than impoverished white women. Fuckety fuck. :cry:

17 Likes

Same statistics for incarceration and police violence. A wealthy Black man is more likely to be incarcerated or beaten/shot/killed by police than a poor White man. That even factors in multigenerational socioeconomic status.

I had to look that last one up as a counter to a bigot who said that Black professional athletes and celebrities skew the statistics. Nope.

18 Likes

Surviving incarceration is yet another issue, especially with too many prisons providing inadequate healthcare:

18 Likes