Black Lives Matter. Still

I mentally read this in a full Gregory Peck/Atticus Finch voice.

Hell, with all the fishing I do in the mountains, I’ll be a radical by mid-July!

7 Likes

Describing the event as a “riot” is worse than the “carpetbag misrule”. Armed former confederate soldiers (from other parishes) trapped over a 100 people inside the courthouse for over a week and executed them after they left the building. Louisiana history books described that as a riot for over a century. They’ve taken down the sign I posted an image of, but the local cemetery still has a monument to the three white men who sacrificed their lives for white supremacy (not my choice of words).
This was the inaugural event of the White League, adopting the name after murdering the people of Colfax.

The whole thing infuriates me whenever I think about it

5 Likes
4 Likes

That is really fucked up.

8 Likes

By the end of the summer I may well have shifted categories myself.
Oh not, another project. I can’t keep up with the course materials.

Party at my place! Come on by! End of August? How’s that work for you?

Austin in summer is pretty dang hot. Please definitely bring your own insulated drinkware to save on ice and on plastic waste.

:muscle:t5:

5 Likes

As always, the good professor is awesome-sauce.

8 Likes

So just one day after I posted that Louisiana maybe taking a more honest account of its white supremacy problem, the state legislature announced that they want to outlaw teaching any of its violent racist history and remove all DEI work from Louisiana higher education.

This was a resolution announcing their intentions. The current democratic governor would presumably veto such a bill if they pass it this session. But next year when he is gone I expect the republican legislature to pass a law criminalizing honest education on racism
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like
10 Likes
8 Likes

My friend has something to say

10 Likes

Not knowing what “golliwogs” are, and conflating with “pollywogs” in my head, i had to look them up. For the love of all that is holy, do not.

Homer Today GIF

10 Likes

I had thought the term wasn’t used in the US. The English author Enid Blyton children’s books were full of them. But TIL the term originated with an american author. I think the term has been well extirpated from the US (rightfully).

9 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately I already knew;

They are basically the UK version of ‘pickaninnies,’ and “sambos” and they are still racist as fuck, no matter what anyone over the pond might claim.

12 Likes

As are the absolute bellends who display them.

8 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

in a similar theme:

At the height of Portland’s racial justice protests in 2020, Portland City Council members made a series of specific budget investments and cuts to reflect their support of the movement centered on police accountability and racial equity.

One was a recurring annual $1.9 million commitment to a new anti-racist organization called Reimagine Oregon… leaders say they haven’t received a penny. And now, the city is making sure they never do.

“All of this totally flies in the face of the equity strategy and goals that the city says it adheres to.” Justice Rajee, director of Reimagine Oregon, said. “It’s hurtful.”

1 Like