Black Lives Matter. Still

Let’s review: the most vocal Black voice on the city council lost her election against an opponent with some very sketchy campaign funding and less than half a year later the city reneges on this commitment .

Shocked/not shocked.

7 Likes

but at least they’re talking about putting that money towards public safety /s

( i can only read that as more money for police, or for forcing people into those new houseless camps. the exact opposite of what’s needed )

6 Likes

Michael Harriot…

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

16 Likes

Black people are not from Louisiana; Black people survive Louisiana.

Damn! That’s rough.
I wish I could say he’s wrong

14 Likes
2 Likes

im starting to wonder how much of this is “inspired” by fox news or sinclair’s spin on the shooting of ralph yarl. “righteous” indignation about not being “allowed” to defend your home, or that sort of thing

i don’t know if that’s better or worse than the possibility that maybe this has been happening all the time and it’s only now gaining traction as a worthwhile kind of story to cover :confused:

2 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
13 Likes

Bull. Fucking. Shit. They just happened to accidently show up at the home of a Black youth leader, he naked from the waist down and not allowed to cover himself. Motherfuckers!!!

3 Likes
6 Likes

May she rot in hell.

3 Likes

Two stories about healthcare this month: :thinking:

5 Likes

When it was determined that dense breast tissue makes it hard to get a good mammogram reading, and is more likely to become cancerous itself, they came up with solutions to improve mammogram technology (ultrasound, for example) to overcome that issue.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. We know there are ways. What’s missing? The will.

10 Likes

The higher the representation of black physicians in the workforce per county was associated less death of any cause for county residents, Black and White patients. Thus, even people not actively being treated by Black physicians benefitted from their presence like the results published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in April of 2023.

There are facts and research to back this up, but, of course, there is no such thing as systemic racism. :rage:

14 Likes
6 Likes

And now for something completely different:

R

6 Likes

Although I was raised by a single mother and often talked to her about obstacles women faced, that Sunday service in the 1990s opened my eyes to what had been in front of me all along: Black churches are often oppressive spaces for Black women. . . . even with Black women leading the charge against this evil, the reality of patriarchy means many people in the Black church will not take these moral failures seriously unless they are voiced by a man who has been ordained. This is wrong and unfair. But I have been ordained, so I’m speaking up.

In my classes, speeches and sermons, I tell white people that if they fail to speak up when confronted with anti-Blackness, they are giving space to hate. I say this because I believe that white supremacy is a problem that white people must address. Yes, Black people are often forced to call out racism, but we are not responsible for it or empowered to end it. People with privilege must do that.

The same is true of patriarchy and misogynoir in the Black church. It would be morally inconsistent for me to demand that white people confront their privilege while I let Black men off the hook.

8 Likes

:thinking: You know, I think we’ve found the perfect candidate for US Ambassador to Haiti. I’m sure a few years days there will teach Mark Robinson what happens when reparations are paid by the oppressed to their oppressors, instead of the the other way around.

lisa simpson solution GIF

Preach GIF

9 Likes
4 Likes