Black Lives Matter. Still

5 Likes

this is madness:

There were several jurors who refused to be budged on a verdict of guilty, so, according to Puckett, she and others fearing a second trial would result in a capital punishment agreed to convict Myers of murder and sentence him to life without parole

you think someone is innocent, and you send him to prison for the rest of his life!? who the heck does that?

and then the judge single handedly turns it into a death sentence anyways? wtf people!?

2 Likes
6 Likes

my only complaint with that otherwise great article is this bit:

From the development of photography to the present, imaging technology has failed darker-skinned people. Over the decades, the photo/film industry has invested in improvements. However, as we’ve seen with facial recognition tech garnering a greater error rate among Black participants

it’s not the author’s fault but they’re wrong about the causes. kodak and other film stock makers chose to produce film that worked best with light skin colors. and, similarly, facial recognition issues come from what developers choose to use in their data sets

it isn’t the technology to blame. it’s the people making those choices. it’s racism and unacknowledged bias

10 Likes
7 Likes

It almost sounds like you are referring to systemic racism. But isn’t that just a “woke mob” myth?

(/sss)

9 Likes
9 Likes

Florida law defines hate crimes as those that involve “prejudice based on the race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, homeless status or advanced age of the victim,” The Times-Union reported.

How long until this gets “fixed?”

9 Likes

Or until it gets selectively applied only to crimes against White straight men?

7 Likes

Probably true. I was overly generous. :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

This could also go in Interesting Stories:

5 Likes

Was catching up on the show Who Do You Think You Are, and this episode with Vanessa Williams covered Reconstruction Era Tennessee in following the story of one of her ancestors (at the 23 minute mark):

This aired right about the time that the “two Justins” were expelled, and fortunately the attempt to make history repeat itself failed.

8 Likes

WTF?

1 Like

The guy who once tagged Trump-loving people in the film industry as being [word not allowed on BB]. He is one “complicated” schmuck.

3 Likes

he says the number one problem facing america is the lack of a civics education?! yeah, sure.

i mean cool that he founded an organization to promote learning about civics and all, but: he sounds mightily out of touch

Despite having a political system that highlights individual freedom and responsibility, we fail to provide individuals with the skills they need to successfully fulfill the role of citizenship. It is quite apparent that civic values have been absent in certain events of our country’s recent history. We have experienced conflicting political parties unable to compromise, violent protests that have showcased a government unable to foster peace, and new generations that are falling behind its peers in education rankings.

nobody has to like the democrats, but to pretend the problems are a lack of compromise when the other party is out promoting a white christian ethnostate is … well. :person_shrugging:

8 Likes

It was a big musical number and there [were] white folks and Black folks and … a lot of the network affiliates said, “Look … we can have black folks on TV, we can have white folks on TV. We can’t have them together. You have to choose. You have to segregate.”

And he said, “No.” And not only did he say no, but, and this is important, he said, “No, but you still have to pay me.” He said, “I know I’m the biggest star in America.” And that was part of that beautiful pride, which was part of [his] struggle. He said, you know, “You’re not going to get away with censoring this kind of art.”

10 Likes
8 Likes

One more from FD, this time on his frustrations with Killer Mike:

Cross posted over in the Toxic Masculinity thread

[ETA] He mentioned this video in the above clip…

7 Likes
7 Likes

Addiction treatment medicine is vastly underprescribed, especially by race, study finds

Despite the continuing rise in opioid overdose deaths, one of the most effective treatments for opioid addiction is still drastically underprescribed in the United States, especially for Black patients, according to a large new study.

https://archive.ph/C4R10

4 Likes