Black Lives Matter. Still

7 Likes

Critics of the measure, House Bill 321, say the measure is racist, noting that the three parishes to which it would apply—Caddo, East Baton Rouge, and Orleans—are 50 percent, 47 percent, and 60 percent Black, respectively, with Black residents making up the majority of their populations, according to US Census Bureau data. The bill would not be rolled out in Jefferson Parish, however, which is larger than both Cado and Orleans parishes and is majority white.

3 Likes
8 Likes

It feels wrong to be glad the victims of multiple crimes were found not guilty of being victims of multiple crimes, if you know what I mean.

All that has transpired, and not a peep about looking into the actual crimes.

But this is where we’re at as a country: relieved that victims aren’t further victimized by the legal system.

11 Likes

Some good news:

9 Likes

“I mean there was Black kids in the classroom, they all thought it was good. Nobody felt targeted.”

Right, because there’s absolutely no peer pressure and/or fear of retaliation :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

13 Likes

Yikes.

I do sometimes wonder how I’m viewed by my neighbors who dont know me. I fly a flag every day and have done so for over 20 years. I have a beard and look kinda gruff. I drive a big truck with Army Retiree on the plates.

Of course the ones who DO know me know where to go to get free veggies and beer.

Nowadays, probably good advice.

9 Likes

I’ll bet you don’t fly a tattered flag 24/7 with no light on it.

Those are the tells for me, that someone is being performative and not actually respectful.

12 Likes

That tracks, sadly.

9 Likes

Rose Mcgowan Scream GIF by filmeditor

Oh No Woman GIF by Ka-pow

12 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes

11 Likes
5 Likes

The racism of the medical system has been well researched and incredibly well documented. Even white patients do better with Black doctors, and Black patients do remarkably better. I do not think this is a mystery, although in our current climate, actually answering it could be very dangerous.

Reckoning with histories of medical racism and violence in the USA - The Lancet

11 Likes
7 Likes

:thinking: Sounds good, as long as it doesn’t lead to this:

Ok, that might be kinda funny! :wink:

7 Likes
2 Likes

I’ll put this in Follow-up as well.

The Black birder from Central Park has of course been the better human the whole time, and now has written a book about birding, using his sudden fame as a way to introduce more people, and especially people of color, to the joys of outdoor nature activities such as (especially!) birding.

https://archive.is/zWpkg

7 Likes