Black Lives Matter. Still

such a good discussion of the history of black musicians and country music

9 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Another excellent article from Michael Harriot about Black media outlets/hosts, both-siderism, and the dangers of promoting anti-Black views:

13 Likes

Mr. Russell was more polite than I would have been, honestly.

11 Likes

No forgiveness here; I hope every opportunistic ‘token Black’ person that engages in hate mongering gets their faces eaten off by the leopards they themselves enabled.

11 Likes

The Oklahoma Supreme Court today heard arguments in the last chance for the last remaining survivors of the Tulsa race massacre to see any kind of justice. Their lawsuit was previously dismissed by a state appeals court, with prejudice (meaning they can’t refile it), and they subsequently appealed to the state Supreme Court. The plaintiffs are 109 years old. I doubt the Oklahoma Supreme Court will rule in their favor, but one of the Justices did at least acknowledge the obvious:

“When I went to high school, I knew about the trail of tears. I knew why Chief Porter wanted prohibition in the Constitution, but Greenwood was never mentioned,” she [Justice Yvonne Kauger] said. “So I think regardless of what happens, you’re all to be commended for making sure that that will never happen again. It will be in the history books.”

12 Likes

What enrages me about even those comments friendly to the apeal is, no, there is no guarantee that it won’t happen again. If the GOP/MAGA crowd has their way, it will happen again in January.

Angry The Office GIF

15 Likes

Very true. I’m sure the Oklahoma GOP would love to stop teaching school kids about the Tulsa race massacre. Hell, I bet half of them call it a riot already.

13 Likes

Of course the full story shows that the Black student who finally defended herself was being terrorized by a known white bully:

13 Likes

From the article:

Researchers have yet to pinpoint the source of these adultification biases, but these studies that they exist.

I mean, racism?

15 Likes

[ETA]

[ETA]

9 Likes

And in news that should shock absolutely no one,

Particularly when looking at health outcomes, large disparities in premature deaths from avoidable causes are apparent in all states. Black, and American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) people are more likely to die before age 75 from preventable and treatable causes, including, but not limited to, some infections such as appendicitis and certain cancers, than white populations, according to the analysis.

david tennant rage GIF

11 Likes

The details reported by the police in this case

highlight how confused and scared the victim must have been before she was shot and killed:

I hope LEOs put more energy into discouraging people from getting their guns, shooting people, and then calling the cops than they do into warning folks how to protect their money.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

https://www.chronicle.com/article/a-pawn-in-a-game

14 Likes

Michael Harriot on this recent SCOTUS decision:

Another story involving law enforcement :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::

12 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

But instead of Pope being sent away for the rest of his life, Judge Brian Gibbons suspended a 30-year prison term for the defendant in favor of 19 years behind bars — which was a far lighter punishment than prosecutors initially desired for the man who admitted to prostituting and having sex with 693 underage Black girls between 2017 and 2019, while intentionally infecting at least one of his young victims with HIV, prosecutors said.

Why could this possibly be? The mid is boggled! (No, it is no mystery. Black girls don’t get to be children, pretty much ever.)

14 Likes

and the word “rape” isn’t used once in that article. always “sex” even though the girls were too young to consent and often he forced drugs and alcohol on them. ( oh, and he was still trying to contact his victims while in jail. ) :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes
12 Likes