Black Lives Matter. Still

This woman’s brother and son were killed by police in Jackson, yet they keep adding insult to injury:

The Jackson City Council on Tuesday approved the payment of $17,786 to settle the lawsuit that relatives of Robinson filed in state court in October 2019, WLBT-TV reported. City documents said the settlement was not an admission of liability by the city or the three officers named in the lawsuit.

bullshit bs GIF

11 Likes

$17K?

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

11 Likes

Canton Police Department Chief John Gabbard said: “Based on experience, I am confident that BCI will conduct a very thorough review.”

i don’t think anybody is worried about the “thoroughness of the review.” how about instead some accountability and some f’ing justice. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes

Link to sign up for the study:

Voices of Black Women | American Cancer Society

Far past time this gets attention. The question here is gonna be how much is intrinsic racism and sexism, and how much (if any) is genetics? And are there other factors unaccounted for? It’s tough to sort out, because so many will reject the systemic factors out of hand. My bet, though, is that this is the biggest factor.

9 Likes

Don’t forget environmental hazards, like being forced to live near EPA SuperFund sites.

12 Likes

That’s practically guaranteed.

10 Likes

True, true. The focus is on genetics, but it’s worth a reminder that a vanishingly tiny proportion of Black Americans are not carrying a huge percentage of European genes. The genetic differences are trivial, verging on non-existent. Those other factors are gonna weigh far more heavily so long as this is analyzed honestly.

10 Likes

And Black neighborhoods being turned into freeway overpasses in almost every city in the country.

10 Likes

Just the stress of everyday systemic racism has a dramatic effect on immunomodulatory hormones. Being in a more-or-less constant state of alertness is really bad for you. I have commented before how amazed I am that Black Americans are able to walk out of their doors on the regular. Every time I have tried to put myself in their situation, I mostly want to curl up in a ball in my bedroom and just weep.

11 Likes

from

8 Likes

Some effort toward remediating that, courtesy of the Biden administration.

8 Likes

Yay! At least until it gets appealed, I guess.

10 Likes

his decision still would bar the teachers from taking steps such as grading on the basis on whether a student accepts or rejects a theory or giving preferential treatment to students on whether they accept a theory.

yeah, because that is how school works :roll_eyes:

Republican Attorney General Tim Griffin said the ruling “merely prohibits doing what Arkansas was never doing in the first place"

and yet, he still defended the law in court. go figure :confused:

5 Likes

Angry Fire GIF by Gus And Sunny

Why does this keep happening!?! Fucking cops!

It’s beyond ridiculous that a young black man (active military) hears a knock at the door, asks who it is, gets no response, then hears a louder knock, and when he looks out the peephole, no one is there. Cops break in and shoot him six times.

What kind of bullshit are the police playing? Why don’t they identify themselves through the peephole by showing their badges? And why the fuck are they surprised that the person inside the apartment might grab a gun?

9 Likes

that’s horrific. and i think it keeps happening because nobody wants to hold the cops accountable. unless they start losing their jobs and/or going to prison, i feel like it’s going to keep happening.

( or, maybe, until we disarm the cops. but that seems the least likely )

9 Likes

Added a bit of context. In an open carry state, where I guess everyone is supposed to carry, why would they not expect him to be armed? Oh, yeah, he’s Black. That pretty much explains it then. (/s) The whole “we can’t be expected to check if it’s the right address” bullshit, though.

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

8 Likes

And someone is knocking on his door and not visible when he looks through the peep hole several times. Not announcing themselves. It’s a setup.

10 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes