Black Lives Matter. Still

New wife for Kanye?

6 Likes

ā€œBut I donā€™t feel lucky, or unlucky,ā€ she added. ā€œI feel nothing but joy and peace and pain and fear, all of it all at once so that it bleeds into itself and can only be described as emotion raw and pure and beautiful and perfect, and also fleeting.ā€

Tirado replied there would be no funeral or need to travel. Instead, she encouraged people to ā€œblast you some early 80s punk and raise a glass.ā€

:sob:

14 Likes

This is the very definition of a wrongful death.

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

12 Likes

As You Wish Game Of Thrones GIF

I wish she had time to enjoy just one more show at the 7th St. Entry (to First Ave., Twin Cities peeps know what Iā€™m on about). :sob:

12 Likes
7 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes

Shut Down Fix My Life GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

13 Likes

Circuit Judge MaryClaire Akers expressed shock after a grand jury indicted the couple in May, saying at a June 11 arraignment that ā€œI donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen an indictment like this in all of my time,ā€ according to WCHS-TV.
Akers said the indictment alleged the childrenā€™s ā€œuse as, basically, slaves."

@PsiPhiGrrrl, Black kidneys, Black childrenā€¦

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney

14 Likes

For the record, this is a more common problem with adoption than people realize, sadly.

14 Likes

Yael Valencia Aldanaā€™s Pushcart Prize-winning poemā€“

Black Person Head Bob

I still count. How many of us are in here?

Five? Six? Two including me?

Why? Are we going to fight somebody?

Our backs against their gilded walls.

Have we made progress?

We made it yet?

If we stare too-too long, sometimes

we head bob.

I see you. You see me.

I see you, a woman on a Philadelphia street.

I stare for half a second too long.

You stare for a half second too long.

Your houndstooth jacket just so.

Your gray hair just so.

Like my mother would have done.

You see me. We do not speak.

We pass a silent Go on girl as we cross.

She is cleaning the University bathroom

in her blue uniform.

She sees me. I see her.

We head bob.

We do not speak.

Pass a silent Go on girl as we cross.

I ask my colleague, twenty-four to my forty-four,

Do yā€™all still count how many black people are in the room?

Do yā€™all still hold each otherā€™s gaze half a second too long?

I see you. You see me.

I got you. You got me.

Or is that old woman stuff?

Old Black woman stuff I learned

from my mother?

I saw you, he says. I counted you, he says.

I got you. You got me.

For our ancestors below the sea

from our ancestors across the sea

I see you, you see me.

Yael Valencia Aldana is a Caribbean Afro-Latinx writer and poet. She is a descendant of the indigenous people of modern-day Colombia. Her work has appeared or is upcoming in Typehouse, South Florida Poetry Journal, Cutbank Journal, and Slag Glass City, among others . She teaches creative writing in South Florida, where she lives with her son and too many pets. Visit her website and follow her on Instagram and Twitter.

16 Likes

Michael Harriot reviews the relationship between racism and the recent SCOTUS ruling on presidential immunity:

13 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

Iā€™ll say this again, the Mayor of Chicago is NOT wrong hereā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

For those who cannot see articles on TheGrio, here are the AP articles:
https://apnews.com/article/dvontaye-mitchell-milwaukee-hotel-death-d26057cf34270deec725e956b21d6ad2

https://apnews.com/article/tulsa-race-massacre-reparations-lawsuit-racial-injustice-cb616bdc1f57c269b3cec63baecf0008

14 Likes

I donā€™t know why TheGrio is afraid of Europeā€¦
Michael Harriot and Panama Jackson have readers over here, tooā€¦

Last known survivors of Tulsa Race Massacre challenge Oklahoma high court decision

Archive is still struggling with this one, might not work:
https://archive.ph/wip/uptKz

Next try:

9 Likes
12 Likes

Michael Harriotā€™s review of Project 2025 and Agenda 47:

Archive version: I read the entire Project 2025. Here are the top 10 ways it would harm Black America

10 Likes

Usually, Iā€™m laughing through an article by this brilliant and funny writer. There are a few ones at the beginning, but Harriot knows that these blueprints for American fascism are not funny in the least.

8 Likes