Black Lives Matter. Still

The Travis Co DA, TX, is delaying sending two cases of murder-by-cop to the grand jury. The cases involve Javier Ambler and Michael Ramos. The current DA is delaying bc her opponent won the democratic primary by 68% on a platform of changing the way police shootings are prosecuted. In her view, the public wants someone different to handle these cases. The delay is understandably frustrating for the families of Ambler and Ramos but I think the current DA has a point. She has promised the civil rights unit will continue to prep so the cases will be ready. The attorneys for the cops are very unhappy.
FYI Travis county is very blue and the democratic canidate Jose Garza is projected to win. The republican canidate failed to get elected to a position as a Justice of the Peace 2 years ago.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Halfwit is half right.

13 Likes

20 Likes

Oh FFS.

14 Likes

9 Likes
18 Likes

Good. Loser flags have no place in Canada.

9 Likes

Her story is great, the comment section is racism and misogyny galore. Donā€™t go there.

18 Likes

Couple who yelled ā€˜white powerā€™ at Black man and his girlfriend arrested for hate crimes

Video:

17 Likes

I feel kinda gross " :heart:" ing that. Wish we had other options, but racists need to be exposed and shamed. Wonā€™t change them, but maybe drive them back under their rock again.

18 Likes

Last Saturday, Ms. Boot went into Your Dollar Store in Summerland with two friends and a newspaper reporter after learning it had sold bandanas featuring the Confederate symbol. Owner Allan Carter eventually provided them to her, and she and her friends cut them up with scissors outside the store.

The mayor offered to buy the Confederate bandanas, but Mr. Carter gave them to her without charge because he said he did not want trouble.

Seems more than fair to me. Iā€™m sure the bigots are going to raise a fit about it anyway though.

In the aftermath of her visit to the store, Ms. Boot, who has been mayor since 2018, said she has received five e-mails that are threatening in tone and racially charged in their language.

Five emails? Even the bigots in Canada show more restraint and decorum than their American counterparts.

12 Likes

https://twitter.com/rabbitven0m/status/1289650882007592960?s=21

9 Likes

Thread.

You can find more information about dishonorable monstrous racist piece of shit Mary Ellen Brennan here:

https://ballotpedia.org/Mary_Ellen_Brennan

Public contact information here:

https://www.oakgov.com/courts/foc/staff/Pages/brennanm.aspx

15 Likes

Hereā€™s John Oliverā€™s take on how gaps in US history classes enable/support white supremacy:

10 Likes

Relatedly:

12 Likes

An Illinois lawmaker and community leaders are calling for the immediate removal of history books and suspension of history lessons in their school districts because they say current materials and lesson plans ā€œlead to white privilege and a racist society.ā€

:frowning_face: :thinking: :confounded:

14 Likes

It does sound off, but Iā€™m wondering just what it is that bothers you there?

4 Likes

No, they are entirely correct. I agree with them. Iā€™m just frustrated about the length of time and the amount of push back we need to change the situation. Weā€™ve been trying to decolonize our history since the 60s (further back if you start with WEB DuBoisā€™ insights into race and racism in the US), and we feel no closer than back then. The neo-confederates seeking to destroy whatever progress historians made on correcting the record on issues such as the civil war have done a number of our public education system.

Iā€™m also concerned about inertia here, a bitā€¦ say they take out the history curriculum altogether due to itā€™s very real problems. Do we continue to see no progress on a better narrative thanks to conservative foot dragging, especially out of Texas (because of the textbook issue)?

I sort of feel like itā€™s not just fixing history curriculum, but we need to fix public education from top to bottom. Thatā€™s a bigger and trickier problem. At the end of the day, for the history stuff, you have plenty of excellent scholarship to pull from that you can re-write textbooks and re-train teachers. But I feel like itā€™s a bigger problem than that?

14 Likes

Thanks, and yes to all that! Iā€™d also be leery of suspending history classes for fear the whole topic might never return to the curriculum. :grimacing:

12 Likes