Black Lives Matter. Still

That too… and let’s not forget…

16 Likes
13 Likes

If you can’t tell an SUV from a motorcycle … well, welcome to the Aurora police department, I suppose.

15 Likes

Even worse, they did all this based on a plate scanner. Whatever happened to asking the driver for license and registration? Nope, they just go for their weapons and mistreat people first, then ask questions later.

14 Likes

It’s an excuse, just like breaking a tail light as you walk from the police cruiser to the driver’s side of the car to accost the driver.

11 Likes

Oh, I know. The racism and the dumb go hand-in-hand in America’s police departments, to the point when they’re willing to appear as the latter to cover up the former.

9 Likes

At the point where you’re handcuffing a little girl wearing a bright pink crown, you’ve got to know you’ve f’ed up.

When I read:

"We have been training our officers that when they contact a suspected stolen car, they should do what is called a high-risk stop. This involves drawing their weapons and ordering all occupants to exit the car and lie prone on the ground. But we must allow our officers to have discretion and to deviate from this process when different scenarios present themselves.

It makes me scream at my screen: “forget about ‘discretion’, STOP training officers like this, period.”

12 Likes

How is that not an Onion article?

And they wonder why people want to abolish the police?

11 Likes

I want a future where Dawn Butler becomes Prime Minister.

17 Likes

Naw, totes real. It was just on a nationally broadcast TV show.

4 Likes
11 Likes

I knew instinctively from the first sentence, but that didn’t stop the enjoyment of the story!

But then, I love everything he writes. So many layers of complexity and spot-on explications.

8 Likes

Word; as soon as I read the first line, I knew he was talking about Jefferson.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, he didn’t mirror that by referencing “Donny”, which would have been the cherry on top.

5 Likes

Yup.

White supremacy has always been part of the core philosophy of the “liberal enlightenment”. It was the driving political force behind 19th century imperialism.

13 Likes

Everytime I think I’m tapped out on rage and indignation I read something like this

Quote of the peititon: “The Petitioner has suffered irreparable injury to his personal and
professional reputation as a result of his unlawful dismissal,” the suit says. “As a result of the unlawful action of the Respondent, the Petitioner has become a public spectacle and object of ridicule. His unlawful termination was unnecessarily public and has attracted national media attention.”
You entitled asshole. It wasn’t being fired that attracted national media interest and made you a public spectical.
He also went to Florida, against the restrictions of his release on bond. The proecutors are moving to have his bond revoked. I hope they succeed.
ET to clarify the quote is from the petition. I don’t know if an attorney is representing him in this insulting idiocy. If one is, they need both their head and license examined.
13 Likes

Whoo, I wondered when this would happen:

13 Likes

Good response to a question that nobody should still be asking in 2020, because:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jawwdi/status/1290902764751470592?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1290902764751470592|twgr^&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theroot.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1290902764751470592autosize%3D1

Minor nitpick that this part is US-centric:

If we asked how many attended an underfunded school, more Black people would raise their hands. If we asked how many had great-great-grandparents who were slaves, more Black people would raise their hands. If we asked how many had great-great-grandparents who were denied government benefits, more Black people would raise their hands.

White privilege isn’t only an American thing.

I also liked this tweet that wasn’t in the article:

14 Likes

Because she’s … she’s different.

7 Likes

Yup. Hard to believe that movie came out over 30 years ago. I hope the inequality pointed out in response to the attacks makes an impression on the folks who need to hear it, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

I had to look up how long ago this was…it was seven years ago:

13 Likes