Black Lives Matter. Still

9 Likes

At my brotherā€™s urging, I just caught Between the World and Me. Not a comfortable show, but very important. And once more, points out that as a white man, I will never understand the Black experience. Just not possible. Love you, weep with you, but not even pretending to understand what it means to you, or to be you. Damnā€¦

14 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes
26 Likes
14 Likes
17 Likes

So, this isnā€™t a matter of literal life and limb, but it still speaks volumes about the degree to which Black voices and people (and especially women) are innately disrespected, stereotyped, and diminished by white society.

If you can stand to listen to more than the first sentence of this piece, youā€™re a stronger person than I. I couldnā€™t get any farther than ā€œIā€™m a southern Black womanā€.

This shit is audio blackface, and itā€™s absolutely stupefying that multiple people were involved in recruiting, recording, editing, and distributing it without a single one of them going ā€œwait, is this maybe a little racist?ā€

16 Likes

I think that shows how many white people were dominating that process to begin with.

16 Likes

Umā€¦ why not also hire a Black narrator?

Isnā€™t that kind of a no brainer?

14 Likes

Youā€™d think that would beā€¦ but given that the very first line is ā€œIā€™m a southern black womanā€¦ā€ why hire a white dude specifically?

15 Likes
12 Likes

Covid is usually less severe in young people. This does not help the ones who get severely ill or die. 99.6% mild to asymptomatic means 0.4% severely ill kids. When the numerator is as huge as the US, thatā€™s a hell of a big number.

14 Likes

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

11 Likes

giphy(1)

10 Likes

One step forwardā€¦

16 Likes
11 Likes
13 Likes

The past is never dead. Itā€™s not even past ā€“ Faulkner

13 Likes

The local NPR station is doing a story on this later today, so Iā€™ll try to remember to post that once itā€™s on the siteā€¦

15 Likes