Black Lives Matter. Still

The PBS show I commented on above had some very interesting points to make on this topic. It’s an ongoing problem and power struggle in some denominations, while others are inclusive.

13 Likes

Good quick explainer of the horrors of the Tuskegee Experiment

16 Likes
12 Likes

From the uprising thread - racist intentions with bad consequences for everyone:

9 Likes
16 Likes

Wow. TIL!

14 Likes

This is great… but somehow not nearly radical enough for the person they are talking about…

His son…

11 Likes

Arrested over 200 times? Wow.

6 Likes

More on results of state investigation into this case:

13 Likes

i just heard this today

it talks about the underground railroad to mexico, and the fact that texas independence was in part about keeping people enslaved ( because mexico had outlawed slavery )

i can see why it’s not something people know much about - id definitely never heard of it.

it sounds like people could cross the rio grande and be free the moment they were there, with more rights and more acceptance than they could by going north.

i think escaping from america isn’t something likely to ever get played up in the history books.

not only does it undermine the “but we didn’t know it was bad” arguments, it also undermines ideas of the white savior north and the heroism of texans fighting for independence

13 Likes

I heard that, too. It was fascinating.

9 Likes

This article upthread included reasons why life in Mexico could be a struggle, too. Both are very interesting takes on the subject.

8 Likes

I first read the headline as, “Louisiana Hate Trooper.”
Seems more accurate.

8 Likes

There might be another blow to Voting Rights Act coming…

Time for that John Lewis voting rights bill. Now.

Also…

Ugh.

11 Likes

Juror Selection Questionnaire for upcoming Derek Chauvin trial in Minneapolis

I thought other bbsers might be interested in reading this, and imagining how you would answer the questions. It was linked to by our local CBS news affiliate (WCCO). It’s 16 pages, but the first page and last two pages are blank, so, 13 pages.

(I haven’t kept up with reading all the posts in long topics here, so if it’s been posted here or in some other topic, or if I should move the link to a different topic, someone let me know please.)

8 Likes

I had to fill out a super long questionnaire for a civil case. When you are going through voir dire, you know exactly where they are coming from. (I was asked if I was anti-corporation because they saw that I subscribed to The Nation. I answered, “I don’t why you think that. My husband works for _________, which is a Fortune 500 company.” I never did answer the question :wink:.)

But yeah, this questionnaire will go a long way to weed out people who have grave concerns with policing.

7 Likes

The fuck…

11 Likes

Destruction of neighbourhoods disrupts communities and organizing. History literally gets buried.

12 Likes

Was just reading this article on housing, too:

13 Likes

Evanston’s southern border is Chicago’s northern border, so this isn’t some small town in the middle of nowhere.

12 Likes