Black Lives Matter. Still

This is why I hope GOP members’ efforts to undermine The 1619 Project will fail. Schools need a much better approach to the subject than this:

13 Likes
“You may also want to tell about the family you live with/work for and how you pass your time when you aren’t working.”
Made me think of this.

There are actually much worse parts about being a slave, but not a good sign when a throwaway joke in a cartoon is more insightful than a class assignment. :frowning:

13 Likes
7 Likes

To be fair, Futurama was written by people with advanced degrees…

10 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes

… and even without the TE…

15 Likes

Drained-pool politics:

16 Likes

Getting in the streets works!

15 Likes

FFS…

19 Likes

i can’t tell you how much i detest the way these encounters go. if i had been the security guard and seen her i, too, might have stopped her but only to congratulate her for her recitation at the inaugural. it is maddening how typical what actually happened is.

16 Likes

Too true…

15 Likes

These public pools, of course, were for Whites only. But when civil rights leaders successfully pushed for them to be integrated, many cities either sold the pools to private entities or, in the case of Fairground Park, eventually drained them and closed them down for good.

It would be interesting to know if, 1) the affected pools were in predominantly White areas; 2) after the pool integration, a significant number of Whites stopped using the pool; and 3) the fresh and increasing appearance of Blacks in the surrounding area (to use the pools) influenced the decision to close the pools.

5 Likes

I was more interested in the point being made that whites are willing to sacrifice their own situation if it means it will harm Blacks too. If you’re willing to not make a living wage yourself because it’s really really important to you that Blacks don’t make a living wage, WTH is that?

21 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s the vote we just saw in the US legislature :frowning:

11 Likes

Yes, I understood your point. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course, because Black skin = “dangerous, suspicious character,” and seeing an individual is too much effort. Just another thing that white males don’t think is a real thing because, for us, it really truly is not a thing. The only tough part for us is recognizing that other fully human beings do not have that same experience.

11 Likes

Sometimes, I think about how much effort has gone into teaching people to fear and/or hate Black people . Since Cult 45 and followers of conspiracy theorists started getting news coverage, opponents have been wondering how to undo that indoctrination. I really hope they figure that out. After they succeed, maybe they’ll bring the same energy and focus to dismantling the reinforcement of racism, sexism, and hostility toward others.

16 Likes

Racism, spite, and willingness to slice off your nose to spite the black family’s face.

12 Likes
18 Likes