Black Lives Matter. Still

Well there’s that movie “Brassed Off”… :thinking:

8 Likes

Lack of diversity in the press, and how it affects coverage of the Black community in Philadelphia:

15 Likes

Thursday’s ‘Google Doodle’ for Black History Month is pretty cool:

Rest in Power, Audre Lorde

14 Likes

Twitter and Facebook remind us what their priorities really are

14 Likes

This is IMHO an excellent use of platform. By a white woman and aimed at white people, but truly, that is where the message needs to go, so…

12 Likes

Beyond the subject of religion in the Black community, this covers a lot of events and highlights points that are largely overlooked in most history books. The topics of music, migrations, women, activism, politics, and movements for social change are covered very well. It helps to put a lot of today’s events into context.

8 Likes
10 Likes

That was a great segment! It both made me want a TrapperKeeper, and reminded me of another really bad bit of history we’re taught in the US, essentially that activism and protest don’t work, or are happy accidents. I didn’t learn until college that Rosa Parks wasn’t “just tired” when she sat down at the front of the bus, but had been active in the cause for over a dozen years already. All we learned about workers was about the violent protests getting put down by Pinkertons.

11 Likes
16 Likes

It was always suspected that the assassination of El Hajj Malik Shabazz was a coordinated effort.

15 Likes

Infuriating but not surprising:

14 Likes
10 Likes

From the article:

Racism arose in the face of African-American success, not African-American failure.

The point about erasure of monuments to that success (as well as the backlash that followed) reminded me of this article about one of many Black Wall Streets that existed in US history:

16 Likes
17 Likes
15 Likes

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-mad

11 Likes

Looking for the local take on this story from the Baton Rouge paper (they had no more info than The Root article), I found an unrelated article about the state education committee chair being upset by LSU students learning that racism is bad and wanting to make sure that the white supremacists are given equal time.

“I’ve also received some questions regarding the series “Racism: Dismantling the System”. In particular, what “system” are the advocates suggesting be dismantled, why does said system require dismantling"
-House Education Committee Chair Ray Garofalo Jr., R-Chalmette

13 Likes

tng-riker-eyeroll

17 Likes
4 Likes

Southern Baptists oust 2 churches over LGBTQ inclusion - ABC News (go.com)

““We should mourn when closet racists and neo-Confederates feel more at home in our churches than do many of our people of color,” said the SBC’s president, J.D. Greear, in his opening speech.”

Well, he’s got that right, anyway.

18 Likes