Black Lives Matter. Still

“There’s a point in the video when an officer says, “You’re acting like a child!” to which the girl replies, “I am a child!””

This is not a new story, but the data points cited are infuriating. ACAB until some of them stand up to this kind of abusive behavior. And I know that a few have, but the consequences those few have suffered do not really argue against ACAB, more like reinforce it.

16 Likes

Old in internet-time, but still a good read.

11 Likes

Cross posting from Coronavirus thread, but in honor of Black history month, this is worth remembering:

16 Likes

SciShow did a video on this topic a few weeks ago that re-centered Onesimus as well.

11 Likes

The legacy of the KKK 1920s in Indiana is still present.

15 Likes

11 Likes

Some quick history of the area:

• Just west of Old Town, which originally was filed with very poorly constructed wooden shacks for immigrant workers, but was gentrified quite a while ago now;

• In a section of town that until recently was 100% industry, including an actual steel mill right up the street that only recently closed after about 100 years of operation;

• Just north of what was Cabrini Green;

• Very conveniently located to both the expressway (to get to suburban jobs) and downtown, as well as all of the near north side shopping areas, with much of the area converted in the last 20 years from industrial buildings to middle class townhomes/condos with indoor parking, and strip malls (with parking).

You’re getting the picture, right? This is an area of town that due to historical choices was considered highly undesirable – as bad as the south east side – until very recently, despite its location being ideal for affluent white consumers otherwise.

There have been some attempts to improve the community situation on the south east side, but they have two major strikes against them:

• it’s where Black and brown people live;

• It’s not near anything white consumers would be interested in.

14 Likes

Hey thanks for this detailed, local info.

Yep. Saw that.

Cabrini Green was still a shiny object when I lived in Chicago, but that was decades ago.

WTF is Mayor Lightfoot thinking here?

8 Likes

This process predates her, unfortunately. And we’re talking a lot of money and power behind it all.

12 Likes

Seeing this made me wonder if EPA Brownfields were somehow involved. After allowing businesses to pollute the air, water, and soil for decades, municipalities rarely force them to clean up on the way out. Instead, companies and developers get grants to remediate areas and build right on top of what’s supposedly been made safe for area residents. I hope they succeed in pushing back against this plant, because situations like this happen in too many cities across the country. When people ask why there are so many pre-existing health conditions in the Black community, I bring up cases like this.

12 Likes

WTF…

15 Likes

That’s just vile.
I didn’t even know what ACAB stood for until a few days ago, and already I get to use it. Lucky us :slightly_frowning_face:
ACAB.

13 Likes

Aw, such a sensitive snow flake you are, we’re only joooooking!!

:face_vomiting:

13 Likes

FB_IMG_1613486909722

23 Likes

All better now, I’m sure…

13 Likes

prince-harry-mad

14 Likes

5 sessions with a therapist. Sounds like she committed a dangerous crime, and then got a treatment most of couldn’t afford if we wanted to. I’m all for restorative justice for everybody, but I wish she had to do some community service hours at a boys & girls club or something else where she’d actually be doing something helpful.

13 Likes

bbbbbbut, she’s white! We can’t have her inconvenienced too much for merely trying to have a Black man harassed, arrested or killed. I mean, really! (/s)

14 Likes

(I wonder what Harry was so narced off about that day. Narced off? Did I get that right?)

4 Likes

I don’t know, but it’s well pre-Meghan, if I’m remembering correctly… maybe before the royal babbies (his nephews and nieces), too?

I think so! But I’m not British, so…

4 Likes