Black Lodge 2600, an Atari-esque Twin Peaks game

[Permalink]

ā€œā€˜Black Lodge 2600ā€™ is damaged and canā€™t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.ā€

:frowning:

Running 10.9 on my Mac.

It is fortunate (for my employers) that Iā€™m on my work computer right now.

Thereā€™s a note at the site about Mountain Lion issues.

1 Like

Sadly, thatā€™s not a solution to my problem. Thatā€™s a different problem that stems from trying to secure non-App Store downloads.

I just tried the download on a 10.7 Mac, and it works fine. Interesting.

Why not just code it as a 2600 ROM? Instantly makes it a lot more interesting than a ā€œ2600-styleā€ game. AND it would solve those Mac problems!

I wish I could play - maybe I would understand, at long last. But doubtful.

1 Like

And after a day of hard gaming, why not step out for a Caribou Blood (red wine, whisky and maple syrup) at The Black Lodge in Vancouver BC: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/locations/the-black-lodge-vancouver/

A great vegetarian Twin Peaks Themed hangout. Iā€™ll be there tonight and look forward to meeting you.

Why is the man on the faux box cover holding a small, grey penis?

Please tell me it isnā€™t just me.

Apparently ā€œIā€™m fully aware that a real Atari 2600 couldnā€™t even come close to handling most of the graphics and audio in this gameā€ from the manual.

Well, itā€™s not just you now. Now itā€™s all I see.

Well thatā€™s sadly lame. If the dev was aware of that, why not aim for something like a 7800 game?

Iā€™m pretty sure that the developer is leaving the 7800 market up to you to fill, so feel free to get to work on that.

1 Like

Coding for the 7800 might be somewhat less excruciating than wrestling with the limits of the 2600, but I reckon it is sufficiently capable as to lose something of the surrealism. (I was going to say that I didnā€™t think the 7800 had much of a dev community, but apparently even the original Atari dev tools are available.)

One might consider Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 2600 and conclude that surrealism was what the console was all about.

When in Berlin, make sure to visit the Black Lodge bar in KreuzKƶln.

@rnasty @duncancreamer Here in ATL, be sure to visit The Bookhouse, in the same lot as MJQ

You have a very weird definition of ā€˜instantlyā€™ā€¦ Creating a workable Atari ROM is grueling, time-consuming work, especially for a novice.

Weird that it now forces you to download an executable - I remember when I first came upon the game in, like 2011 or so, it was as an online playable Flash game. At least thatā€™s what I recall. Maybe BOB has twisted my mind.

I am WELL aware of the difficulties of developing for this hardware, which is specifically why I said that - just making the decision to code the game for a vintage system, rather than on modern hardware, with modern dev tools - and irrespective of the quality of the end result - would have made the project instantly more interesting.

I donā€™t agree. I feel like the arbitrary retro 2600 style isnā€™t really terribly meaningful or relevant, and having them invest way more time in a more ā€˜authenticā€™ version of a pointless affectation would beā€¦way more pointless. What would the project gain conceptually, as a specifically ā€œ2600-coded Twin Peaks,ā€ that it doesnā€™t have as a more generic ā€œRetro Game Twin Peaksā€? What resonance is there between the 2600 hardware specifically, and the TV series being represented here? Why would a time-consuming stab at ā€˜authenticityā€™ like assembly-coding it for the 2600 automatically make it ā€œmore interestingā€?

The paper-thin nature of this pastiche seems best suited to the ā€œdashed-off GameMaker/Flash webgameā€ idiom than the ā€œpainstakingly assembly-coded 2600 ROMā€ idiom (which has been used pretty ably in stuff like Ian Bogostā€™s Slow Year or the Mario and Sonic de-makes, or the recent superior 2600 Pac-Man port).

1 Like