BlackBerry: "Keyboards Are the Future"

[Permalink]

I can respect that.
After all, some people like keyboards, and itā€™s not like they can compete by being just like everyone else.
Someoneā€™s gotta be the Saab.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Honestly my old work BlackBerry was a lot easier and faster to type on then my work Iphone or personal S4.

6 Likes

I must say agree, i greatly miss android devices with physical keyboards, but the industry has decided every possible input must be touch if possible, which i do not like :frowning:

Sadly, i dislike the blackberry OS more than i dislike onscreen keyboards, so iā€™ll stick with android.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll just leave this here:

4 Likes

All these worlds are yours, except Waterloo. Attempt no typing there.

2 Likes

I agree with this guy. I really miss my old slider Pantech keyboard, especially when Iā€™m in the car or outdoors and light conditions make it impossible to read a screen but I still need to text a message.

1 Like

More than just keyboards, but a real physical-key-centric OS as BB7 was, not the neither-fish-nor-fowl cockup of BB10. Speed dial, helloooo.

It wonā€™t take over the universe, but it will definitely keep a few million productive, money-making people happy. Count me in.

1 Like

I can see how people like physical keyboards, I can also see how that at present, in some sense they are superior. However this is going to be a disaster. It is not ā€˜The way of the futureā€™, it is not the direction technology is heading in, irrespective of personal preferences or not.

All of the issues with screen keyboards will be ironed out, that Iā€™m willing to bet on. At the end of the day solid state devices are going to dominate.

1 Like

While I much prefer the BB10 user interface - AFTER getting to know it - it is certainly less intuitive than its competitors.

But as the saying goes, ā€œThe only 100% intuitive user interface is the nipple. Everything else is learned.ā€

A phone with a 100% intuitive user interface would beā€¦ disturbing.

1 Like
3 Likes

Iā€™m currently in the market for my first smartphone (go ahead and laugh, everyone else does). If I could get an Android with a keyboard, I would be one happy camper.

You know that is very true. Now if they can get a handle on their internal corporate culture they might be able to survive. Ha, hereā€™s a thought - maybe they should follow Zappos example!

Haptic touchscreen keyboard. Once that whole electrically-controlled membrane screen that can create ā€œkeysā€ you can press takes off, then the separate physical keyboard is done.

Whatā€™s next, buggy whips?

Since adopting Swype on my GS4, Iā€™m never going back to typing. Soooo fast, very interpretive, just fun.

2 Likes

I did a fair amount of research into this technology at my last job; we had developed a haptic system for training dentists. It is a LONG way off from a really strong implementation. What we created was better than trying to inject a classmate for your first try with the Novocaine needle but not in any way like giving an actual shot. There is some cool stuff cooking but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome. Tech to watch, though, for sure.

You can always dictate your text, of course. Like I did right now. And Iā€™m not even a native speaker.

2 Likes

On-Screen keyboards take up valuable screen real-estate on already-limited devices.

Emacs with a virtual keyboard is a nightmare.

OTOH, if the physical keyboard lacks Meta Alt and Super keys itā€™s pointless.

OTOOH, virtual keyboards allow for so many variations that are hard to do with physical keyboards. Leaving the ergonomics of typing on glass aside, you can have ergo shape-forms, bizarre key-chord scenarios, dvorak layouts, etc etc etc. itā€™s virtual, man!

1 Like