Blackberry's squarephone "sells out"

I wish there was a way to distinguish attribution quotes from scare quotes. It always annoys me to see them all over the BBC web site – I can’t help but read the headlines in a sarcastic voice – as if Ebola deaths ‘pass 3000’ means the BBC doubts that they do.

I’d say in this case the use was pretty clear (even If Mr. Beschizza is trying to claim the opposite now).
There’s no point in quoting a phrase like “sells out”, unless you want to express your doubts about it (and the claim that it was just an attribution quote doesn’t sound very convincing, if, in the same summary, you use the word “allegedly” in regards to the reported buyers’ responses.).

1 Like

The Playbook is an odd example. Since it’s not running BB OS 10 (or whatever it’s called), it’s stuck on an Ancient version of Android. I bought a Playbook after hearing the promises that PB OS 2.0 was going to support Android apps, assuming foolishly that it would support ALL Android apps. Whoopsy. I still use it as a video player for my kids, for that purpose it works just fine. And I got it through a RIM employee acquaintance, so I got a good price for it at the time. I can’t really complain. Had I paid full price for it, I would have been much more annoyed.

1 Like

Nope. That’s a suite of apps for managing devices. I’m referring to the message delivery system only.

The dim and distant past of 2007? That’s when the first iPhone came out. Before that, it was all Blackberry.

The message delivery system for BlackBerry 10 devices is ActiveSync (over WiFi, over VPN, or over BlackBerry Infrastructure) - there is no BIS for BlackBerry 10:

That’s my point exactly. The best product was the BES and BIS offerings.

uh.
yeah.
That’s what I meant. They may have been usefull and loved by ‘it shops’ in the dim and distant past but not any time after the paleolithic. Oops! Hyperbole!

@supermathie

Oh, whaddaya know. My sarcastic and hyperbolic belittling stands corrected. Sorta.

1 Like

Aww, that’s kinda cute. Even though you don’t really know what you are talking about, you still try to stay cool and snarky.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.