Blockbuster's final stand: the lost charm of physical media

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/14/blockbusters-final-stand-the-lost-charm-of-physical-media.html

2 Likes

yeah, the past…

3 Likes

For the record, despite what you might think from Cooper’s novel, there are still a couple thousand Mohicans alive today. Native people have endured a lot but they are not gone.

5 Likes

The thing is… while there definitely is a convenience now, it is on the people to make it a special moment.

I don’t really get to watch a lot of media with my kid, but I do remember doing so when she came over more often. I know she watches ST:TNG and Doctor Who with her mom and I am sure they enjoy those moments. I do come over show her the Baby Yoda show. All on demand.

The part about staying up late to watch Ladykillers is cool. I guess I remember a sleep over and we were flipping through the channels about to go to bed, and The Quest for Fire came on and me and my friend stayed up really late to watch it. So, yeah, I suppose there is something to be said about circumstance lining up to make a memory.

But planning, making it fun, doing things together in general is how you make memories. I guess these are a little bit DIFFERENT kinds of memories, but still.

Hey, if you’re old school you might have a100 + DVDs you can sift through if you want a more traditional “pick something to watch” experience. There are still DVD/BluRays at Target or Vintage Stock where you could do a “buy something and make it a movie night” kinda thing.

2 Likes

The Ladykillers, eh? What a fabulous cast, and the setting is so redolent of threadbare, post-war Britain.

3b2dde98-edbe-4b67-893e-75d9e1fb79b6-2060x1622

4 Likes

… and the joy of watching Katie Johnson beat all of those (very fine) scene-stealing actors at their own game!

3 Likes

:laughing: :thinking: :sob:

2 Likes

… I still have CD’s that I bought at thrift-store prices intending to copy them on my thrift-store CD writer and sell the originals off again

Now it’s all barely fit for the recycling bin — the original CD’s, the copies, the old computer, all of it

taking up space, or a hazard in the waste stream

1 Like

Sneaking off to look a the covers of VHS horror tapes that you know damn well your parents won’t let you hire is its own lost thrill. Lost artform too, a lot of them were often better than the films contained within.

4 Likes

Starring Alec Guinness, and his false teeth!

It’s a solid choice for a favorite movie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.