Only one Blockbuster Video Store left standing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/13/only-one-blockbuster-video-sto.html

2 Likes

Getting harder and harder to find a good buggy whip, too.

17 Likes

Is that the one with Russel Crowe’s jockstrap on display?

13 Likes

I came across one in Madras, OR in October 2014. Quite a rareity even then.

3 Likes

that’s one more than i thought there were.

9 Likes

Time to pull the tape out of a VHS cassette for our fallen homies.

5 Likes

Be kind, rewind.

7 Likes

I would recommend looking in the BDSM shop in your neighborhood. :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

I hear Trump is going to bring back Blockbuster.

17 Likes

I didn’t realize that any locations still existed at all.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Only took 30 seconds.

Or, if you need a fancy model

In many places outside of a city, you can probably find one in person in less than a 10 mile drive.

Just saying, finding a block buster is much much harder. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You mean John Oliver’s promotion didn’t help? https://youtu.be/zcg58MB04GI

2 Likes

5 Likes

“According to Kelli Vey, Blockbuster’s district manager for the Fairbanks, Alaska area …”

I don’t understand. How many stores in the Fairbanks, Alaska area again? And does this mean that there are other “district managers”?

1 Like

How many hours did Mrs. hungryjoe and I spend trying to agree on a video to rent in Blockbusters, Hollywoods, and Hastings? And nearer and dearer to my heart, Payless video in Denton, TX? So crazy that’s not part of our lives anymore.

1 Like

Maybe it’s like a mothballed military organization with a cadre and structure of ranks that their numbers don’t merit, so that new recruits can be slotted in quickly in an emergency?

1 Like

And now they are switching to sleeper cells, waiting to emerge once America is great again.

4 Likes

You can buy something?

Candy, popcorn, sodas, posters, etc. etc. I’ve never actually bought any of these in a Blockbuster, but I did notice they were for sale. Keep in mind that was when I was skinny and poor. Now that I’m fat and affluent, I still wouldn’t buy them. Probably.

1 Like