Bo Burnham welcomes us to the Internet in song (including lyrics so we can all join in!)

Originally published at: Bo Burnham welcomes us to the Internet in song (including lyrics so we can all join in!) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Welcome to the internet
Put your cares aside
Here’s a tip for straining pasta
Here’s a nine-year-old who died

Yep, that’s about the size of it.

9 Likes

Talented dude.

3 Likes

I wish he’d get another chance to make a movie. I thought Eighth Grade was fantastic.

5 Likes

This song was definitely the highlight of the special for me, but there was a lot of other good stuff in there, too.

3 Likes

Man, this made me uncomfortable for a moment, and then I thought “Yup, pretty good reflection of internet.”

2 Likes

When this came on during the show, I could not stopping thinking “Tom Lehrer is back!”

4 Likes

He did.

He’s in Promising Young Woman, which is a brilliant yet harsh film.

2 Likes

He wrote and directed it? (That’s what I meant by “make”).

I am aware that’s he’s acted in other movies.

1 Like

Oh; my bad, I misunderstood.

No, he did not; PYW was written directed & produced by a woman named Emerald Fennell.

1 Like

This whole special was…something else. Weird, powerful stuff. It definitely captured a lot of the strange, hard feelings this pandemic, and isolation in general, have brought up from deep in my brain. Definitely recommend the special, but also maybe avoid if you are in a particularly sensitive emotional space. Or maybe that’s the best time to see it, who knows? It’s raw though, and I don’t know if I was fully prepared for how much so.

4 Likes

Bo Burnham is in a word, a prodigy. His first special was an incredibly well considered essay on the trials of adolescence and post-adolescence. The special before this current one was maybe the most insightful commentary on social media that I have seen. He (humorously) made the point that social media has turned our lives into a performative act, not to be lived by us but to be consumed by others. The new special is a continuation of that, where we became even more dependant on the internet for our access to the world, and the world’s access to us. Bo is called a comedian, but he is in fact an incredibly deep and astute cultural critic who uses humor and music to deliver his insights.

3 Likes

The White Woman’s Instagram song SLAYED me…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.