Boa probably wishes it hadn't constricted that porcupine

They fucking pierce bone. Nuff said.

2 Likes

Boaboo used Squeeze on Porkypie!

It’s not very effective…

4 Likes

It’s the barbs that I really had the biggest issue with.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure…

I’ve had to take single unbarbed fishing hooks out of various of my bodyparts when I fished more. I’d hate to imagine having to either pull out against a barb, or have to push the whole thing out the other side so I could snip the barb off.

I had a cousin who got hooked on the eyebrow with a barbed treble hook. You’d think my uncle was a machinist and not a professionally unemployed guy when he did his work on getting that treble taken down to a single.

3 Likes

Exactly! Imagym ef aktule snek!

1 Like

It’s hard to reconcile this video with the absolute killer predator instinct I’ve seen in cats.

A few times I’ve seen house cats let outside for a brief romp, and they hone in on some tall, tall grass pretty far away, sneak up to it, pounce, and come up with a bird, totally unharmed for the pleasure of their masters. “Look what I caught!”

I realize humans don’t have the senses that cats have at their command (we traded those for more thinky talents, like making ever more complicated sharp sticks to poke each other with), but DAMN.

1 Like

Well, 'e shouldn’a tempted the woman then.

This snake is like when you try to give a f**k and hug a cold, prickly acquaintance who’s having a hard time…

1 Like

Even the skunks?

1 Like

apparently the Brazilian ones are green on the inside.

2 Likes

Badass cosplay.

1 Like

Skunks are a bit more casual, but they prefer to run away because even they don’t like it when they have to spray.

3 Likes

On the fishing sites there’s entire threads of ‘hook in body’ pics. Some guys use pics of their impaled hands as their avatars. I had a 4-0 hook just past the barb last year, luckily I could just ease it out.

2 Likes

Snakes. Ugh. I got the same “Scared shitless” gene for snakes as others mentioned upthread.

This little fucker put the fear in me without doing anything more than sitting by the trail.

This one was absolutely unhappy with my presence and indicated it, clearly and loudly. One of the bigger rattlers I’ve seen in the wild.

THIS FUCKEN GUY, HFS. Sizeable snake that decided to charge across the trail and right in front of me, instead of simply slithering away from me. Wasn’t a rattler–had a weird orange coloring and was like seven feet long–but was quite good at scaring me.

This little guy didn’t scare me even though I stepped about five inches from it’s head, but mostly because I didn’t see it until I’d taken another few steps. Which is precisely the point at which his giant green mother/big brother/angry pal reared up like a Demon Possessed and completed the process of scaring the shit out of me.

6 Likes

The orange one I think is either king or corn snake, but definitely non-venomous. If it gives you any peace of mind you can tell by the much smaller head and the long slender body that transitions smoothly into the tail. Vipers like Rattlers have those big disc-like heads and fat bodies with a contrasting tiny tail.

I’ve had at least my share of pet snakes starting with a boa in the 4th grade. That poor doomed boa made me sad.

Meanwhile in my family:
"hey Gran! I think that’s a coral snake next to you!"
Gran - “he ain’t hurtin’ nothin’.”

Also in my family
Me - steps quietly over three foot green snake on the dirt path… Cause green ain’t mean.

1 Like

Porcupine wished it had forward-pointing quills.

I think you should stay inside more.
Mainly, because if I saw this kind of stuff on daily jaunts, I’d never leave the house.

2 Likes

HA! Most of those came from a thru-hike of the PCT in 2008. Practically everything south of the High Sierra is full of rattlesnakes and I found A LOT of them during the hike…or, better, they found me and usually let me know, loudly, when I was about three feet away. Only the “Green Mojave” types struck at me, all the others just rattled and hummed hissed.

I’m happy to be fascinated by snakes FROM A COMFORTABLE DISTANCE. And taunting me with a snake is a good way to see me throwing elbows.

2 Likes

Unicorns…and really biiiig snakes.

Now you don’t see those snakes anymore.

1 Like