Bob Dylan is the first songwriter to win the Nobel Prize for literature

Cohen has never had a lot of range. He has played that up (in a subdued way) , and has been extremely self deprecating about it. It’s not that he can’t sing, it’s that he isn’t a vocalist, or what some would call a “singer”.

Sad news. Love him to death.

4 Likes

He is putting out and new album and he’s not gone yet… just not likely to tour again (sadly… I should have gone to his last tour).

2 Likes

I’m racking up a terrible tally of artists I’ve said that about, over the years.

2 Likes

Cohen (much like Kurt Cobain) isn’t great singer in the classical sense, but he has an interesting voice that I don’t mind listening to.

As for Dylan, while I love his work his nasally sing-talking just starts to grate on me after a while.

2 Likes

Yeah. But in this case, it’s not like I didn’t know Cohen’s age and that his last tour was probably it for him. He’s not young any more, so I had no excuse. I did go see Laibach this year, so I did go to a show at one of my favorite venues (which is now getting moved because god hates me).

3 Likes

Well, I wasn’t trying to put down Cohen, just acknowledging that many have for basically the same reason as you put down Dylan.

2 Likes

I’ve heard Cohen referred to as a chanteur, basically a singing poet who emphasizes the drama and meaning of the words rather than melody. Which is not to say he can’t sing.

4 Likes

Hey, I don’t play favourites: neither of them can sing worth beans. I don’t even care for Joni Mitchell’s voice, and she is probably the best song wright of the lot…

Well, lately Dylan hasn’t been so much sing-talking as… well, a cross between crooning and croaking.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.