Bob Dylan sells entire catalog of songs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/07/bob-dylan-sells-entire-catalog-of-songs.html

4 Likes

Yeah, that was a safe move:

4 Likes

Selling everything seems to me the very definition of selling out.

21 Likes

Never meet your heroes.

9 Likes

I sorta thought he would just release them to the public domain. But I guess this way he will get a final cash out for what ever he needs/wants.

3 Likes

Given the way so many of his wordings have entered common vocabulary, to the point of being cliches, the IP bots are going to go into overdrive meltdowns.

2 Likes

i can’t for the life of me fathom why he would do this. it’s not like he needed the money.

7 Likes

How is a catalog of songs worth $300 million? Maybe the songs themselves, but hello, Sears went out of business a while back.

8 Likes

Have you seen how hard it is to get toilet paper later??

4 Likes

I think when an artist uses money as the sole reason for creating art and doing anything for the almighty dollar is definitely “selling out,” but most of Bob Dylan’s stuff was created a long time ago. Sure, he made money off of it, but I think he was successful enough he didn’t have to write jingles for hamburgers or Land Rovers or whatever. Will we see commercials selling Harley Davidsons using “Like A Rolling Stone” as the background tune? Jeeze, I hope not, but I guess we’ll see…

Or maybe it’ll be hilarious. Maybe they will market “Lady From the North Country Shampoo,” or “The Masters of War Nerf Gun Set,” or the “Blowin’ in the Wind Hair Dryer.” The possibilities are endless! His catalog of songs is endless!

8 Likes

I would have thought he could have actually gotten more than $300 million, but I admittedly don’t spend a lot of time pricing song catalogs.

2 Likes

$100 bucks says to sell a new drug.

4 Likes

Something something die the villain something something

Well, we already have a Vietnam War protest song being used to sell car insurance… kind of takes on a different meaning when you hear all of the words, and it makes me wonder WTF they were thinking to use it as a car insurance jingle.

3 Likes

loabrn

“and we have the responsibility of squeezing as much money out of this catalog as possible.”

9 Likes

When this came on the radio, I always thought it sounded like Kermit the Frog.

2 Likes

predates Vietnam war by a bit

6 Likes

“…is both a privilege and a responsibility.”

“The times are a’changin’ …at McDonalds”!

Less than a year.

6 Likes

Jesus Christ, I hope Pilot got fat paid for that drug company to butcher their song to sell drugs. It is infectious as an ad.

1 Like