Bodum pour-over coffee maker with permanent filter

Any issues with durability? My first one cracked, got a replacement, it cracked as well. Yes, I’m careful about water temp, and of course never ran it through the dishwasher.

Durability of a Clever? I’ve had one for 3 or 4 years, no issues with cracking, and it gets used a lot. It goes through the dishwasher once in a while, but really isn’t necessary. Usually I just run some hot tap water through it. I suspect if it’s dropped it might crack. 'Course, now that I say this, I’m jinxed and will certainly drop it next time I use it…

Correction: one issue. The rubber seal that keeps the liquid in the cone has broken down enough that I a few drops of coffee seep out during the steep time. If that gets bad enough, I might have to find a replacement seal.

If you want indestructible, get an Aeropress. They’re made of a type of plastic that won’t break due to impact. You’d really have to want to break them to do any damage. I recall reading the inventor was looking for a way to use the same plastic as in his Aerobie flying rings. But now that I re-read the entries at www.aerobie.com, I can’t find that reference, so I might be mis-remembering.

Also, both of my Aeropresses are from before 2009, when they switched away from polycarbonate due to BPA concerns. Not sure if the BPA-free materials (copolyester or polypropylene) are as sturdy.

1 Like

Hmm. I got mine right when the v2 came out. Perhaps they had some issues with the first run of them. Same issue with the rubber washer but it also hasn’t gotten bad enough for me to care about fixing it.

I’ve used one for decades, but only trot it out as a party piece; they’re a bit fiddly to use and to clean, especially compared to a drip with a paper filter. Kitchenaid has a new electric one out that looks like it overcomes some of the traditional issues, but it is pricey.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.