This filter and coffee set lets you have pour-over on the go

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/this-filter-and-coffee-set-let.html

2 Likes

*depicted barista not included

3 Likes

As brewing methods go, it’s not that complex but still not the kind of thing you can do (let’s say) at the office before work.

Yeah, no. Never heard of a “Chemex”? If you can boil water, you can make Chemex coffee, FFS. It’s no more difficult than making a pot of drip coffee. Often enough, I’ve used a smaller Chemex under the hot water feed of a standard drip coffee machine with the basket removed; works dandy.

Of note, a Chemex doesn’t involve multiple sealed, thoroughly disposable packages. The filters aren’t exactly cheap but they’re not all that expensive, either, so whatever; it’s still WAY cheaper than this silly mess and much less of a hit on the environment. There’s no need to out-Keurig Keurig -.-’ .

4 Likes

Now look here, all those landfills aren’t going to fill themselves, right?

3 Likes

My preferred coffee brewing kit… https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Coffee-Mizudashi-1000ml-Brown/dp/B00I7JKAQ0/

2 Likes

This is fucked up in so many ways, but possibly I do want lavender-scented coffee…?

I have! But the weird wood-and-leather holder thing is cumbersome and dumb, so I crocheted a 1950s sweater-inspired insulating holder for mine:

5 Likes

I am lazy. I got an automated version–one that also uses all glass for tubes, water tanks, etc. instead of plastic.

Totally worth it. Although I had to buy a different filter.

Even simpler, make the coffee directly into your cup with a $5.00 plastic Melitta cone. Minimal cleanup and waste.

Or for the 1%ers out there, one of the many ceramic variations.

4 Likes

Pour this over ice & presto! You have French coffee, like you see in all the Vietnamese noodle houses.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I use. Been using ones like that for decades. And I don’t buy the fancy cone-shaped filters. Basket-stye filters, about $.01 apiece (plus tax) work fine—just fold one in fourths and turn up the point about an inch, and you have a cone-shaped filter that fits. Clearly I’m not in Boing Boing’s target demographic.

5 Likes

What is she looking at? Does she need help?

1 Like

Rich and stupid?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.