This Bodum pour-over coffee maker works great and looks pretty cool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/01/this-bodum-pour-over-coffee-ma.html

2 Likes

Doesn’t look as nice as a Chemx.

1 Like

Why does it need a leather collar?

Silicone. So you don’t burn your hand when pouring coffee.

3 Likes

We have one of those (with the cork band). With very fresh coffee it doesn’t work very well, the bloom rises up over the top of the filter before you can get much water in there at all. You then have to add the water in little dribbles until it is done.

For using the pot at around half its capacity it works OK, since you use less coffee, and the coffee does taste good. I suggest that anyone who wants this to make 2 or more cups buy the larger (34 ounce) version.

Incidentally, we just bought one of these for travel, and have been using it for a few weeks:

Most of the collapsible filter cones are one cuppers, this one takes a #4 filter (officially 8-12 cups, in practice around 4). Far exceeds expectations.

3 Likes

It was designed before handles were invented, apparently. Some models online have a silicone collar that looks easier to clean.

Paperless metal filter units which replace paper filter holders are readily available online, if you just want to use an existing coffee pot with a handle.

2 Likes

I thought it was exploring alternative relationships.

1 Like

It does make me feel like they’re insulting my poor customised Chemex. But the reusable filter is interesting (and I may consider buying one if it’ll fit the Chemex).

OTOH it’s surprising how long a pack of paper OG Chemex filters lasts, and it makes cleanup super easy. Also they aren’t hard to get through the mail.

It doesn’t. (Our Bodum lives in a cabinet next to a Chemex.)

Try as we might, we’ve never been able to get more than 100 pots out of a box of 100 filters.

6 Likes

Do they have a child size one?

I would like Children of Bodum.

5 Likes

I swore by this model for a long time - I had the cork one, which was much cheaper and I liked the look better anyway. I liked it so much I bought a second one when I broke the first. I had to give it up when we had twins and needed the few minutes it takes to make a pot back.

3 Likes

Bodum stuff tends to be a good value, especially if their gadget has few components. I’ve had the same french press for 15 years, it gets used frequently and I take it apart and scrub it down periodically and it looks almost new still. Also gets used as a small tea pot if I leave the press part up, as the loose leaf tea is really easy to dump out.

As for pour-over in general. If done properly it does produce a fine cup of coffee, but it’s also a bit of a fad. I’ll be impressed if the majority of people here still have the patience to make pour-over 10 years from now. For what it’s worth I’ve had drip coffee out of very old machines that was as good as the average pour-over, and identical in consistency. Sadly I don’t think anyone makes a good drip coffee machine anymore, or ever made on in my life time. And sure Technivorm makes a fine drip machine, but it’s what like 10x+ the cost of a pour-over and once you are done cleaning your Moccamaster you haven’t really saved yourself any time.

2 Likes

I like a cloth filter in my pour over—it works pretty much the same as paper except it’s washable and reusable. The metal filters always let a little grit through.

1 Like

I’ve been doing filter drip for 40 years. I’ve also had a variety of espresso machines over that period, including a commercial one for the last 20+ years, but drink a fair amount of drip. Maybe you mean the term “pour-over” is a fad? I’d agree with that.

2 Likes

Well pour-over means something different to most people. Nearly all drip machines use rather high temperature water at a slow rate (a drip). A manual pourover method would simply use a human that pours water over the grounds from a small spout. It will be significantly lower heat, and generally people pour faster than a drip machine. A spray head machine like a Bunn-o-matic uses a large amount of water at a moderate heat that is lower than a drip. All of these methods are related, but pourover usually means a manual method that isn’t a drip or sprayhead.

I think having a little gooseneck kettle and glassware that stacks on your carafe is a fad. Just like 80% of the Moka pots bought 2 years ago are buried in the back of cupboards. And 95% of the fondu pots gifted 45 years ago are in an attic. I still use them, because I think it is fun. But I’m not normal. Also I don’t have children to break things or occupy my time.

P.S. I’ve been doing filter drip for 32 years and I’m in my early 40’s … hahaha :wink:

1 Like

Ya I was thinking about that, and I suppose what it resolves to is that I actually don’t make coffee at home every single day of the week, and/or 3 months feels longer than it is

Yes, that’s what I use. I’ve already mentioned in this thread that I use a Bodum like the thread starter, a Chemex, and recently a travel cone. No autodrippery there.

Cheapest?
This one is five bucks https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077

3 Likes

In order to say ‘I have heard of Michael Jackson, but I have also heard of Michael Jackson; have coffee.’

1 Like

I think it’s attractive. I really like the roundness of the lower part.

Shown with the dark coffee in it and the flat base, it makes me think of a Magic 8 Ball. If you turn it over, will it give the answers to your questions?

1 Like