Body found in river in case of missing dog-walker in England

Originally published at: Body found in river in case of missing dog-walker in England | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This coverage doesn’t surprise me, the British are horrible voyeurs when it comes to this stuff. My wife and I were in the UK on our honeymoon right around the time Rep. Gary Condit finally admitted he had an affair with that missing (later found dead) Chandra Levy. I swear every news channel lead with that sordid spectacle.

4 Likes

That’s unfair. The British press seems to think we are, and I guess they wouldn’t do it if it didn’t get results, but the general consensus among the people I know is that this obsessive coverage has been gross and unnecessary.

ETA: maybe I should say “they,” not “we,” as I’ve only lived here for four years.

8 Likes

A pretty good example of the way the UK is failing people with mental health issues, I just hope her children can at least get some access to some mental health support, they’ll definitely need it after having had to live through this sorry spectacle.

3 Likes

So much coverage, days of being on the front pages, while barely any for 200 kidnapped children Revealed: scores of child asylum seekers kidnapped from Home Office hotel | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian Revealed: UK’s missing child refugees put to work for Manchester gangs | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian

9 Likes

Sadly, the body found has now been positively identified as Nicola Bulley.

4 Likes

The police revealed personal information about Nicola Bulley (alcohol and health problems) in a seriously misjudged attempt to shut up the conspiracy theorists.

4 Likes

I was in England when this story broke, and was stunned by how gross the tabloid coverage was.

The Scum and the Daily Heil and their Cable TV fellow travellers are vile.

5 Likes

It also quite handily pushed the terrible corruption in the Met off the front page. Heck, that seems to have fallen all the way to the back pages and out of the paper.

6 Likes

This coverage reminds me of the british media coverage of the disappearance of Susie Lamplugh, which was a bit of a media circus at the time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.