Boeing 737 MAX fleet grounded after mid-air blowout

I wonder if the Fasten Seat Belt sign was on at the time of the blowout.

1 Like

most certainly it was;

Passengers were shaken up Friday by the near miss. Things weren’t worse likely because the blowout happened before the plane reached cruising altitude, and passengers were still seated with their lap belts fastened.

6 Likes

This is very strange. The plane flew for only 35 minutes but nobody recovered the cockpit voice recorder before it was automatically wiped after two hours.

She added that no information from the cockpit voice recorder was available, as the recording had been automatically wiped after a two-hour cut-off was reached.

3 Likes

Also from that linked story:

Two mobile phones believed to have fallen from the aircraft are also reported to have been found.

An Oregon man shared an image of an iPhone which he said he had discovered, working as normal, in a grass verge beside a road. The device appeared to display an email receipt for a $70 (£55) checked baggage charge for the flight.

Wonder what kind of case it was in :thinking:

5 Likes

none, is my guess; its likely it flow horizontally, so it didnt reach max velocity and the side of the road seems perfect for a somewhat “soft” landing;

e/ ah, just a normal back rubber/silicone case, no screen protection;

4 Likes

neat little detail: phone still “plugged in” but the cable is stripped right off. looks like the blowout was for sure quite violent;

(e/ changed pic for original source and tweet)

4 Likes

The pilots need to manually pull the circuit breaker for the cockpit voice recorder to stop it from getting wiped. Looks like they failed to do so.

7 Likes

Looking at the aircraft’s flight history it did a couple of hops in the previous few days. Three flights within 24 hours wouldnt be unusual. The cabin pressure management system involves multiple sensors. These are monitored continuously. There is robust false-alarm rejection because you don’t want the oxygen masks dropping due to a false alarm.

If there is a warning indicator in the cockpit then one or more sensors is reporting that it is reading low, but not low enough to trigger the O2 masks, so probably around 9 psig. The pilots wouldn’t do any deeper diagnostics but I expect they called it in to maintenance. I expect maintenance assumed a faulty sensor and gave the listed guidance from the manual. I wouldn’t expect maintenance to presume the structure was about to fail (if you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras and all that). Sensors go bad much more often than doors failing in flight. If I got a call about a pressure warning I’d presume a bad sensor 99/100 times, but verify it upon landing.

4 Likes

Sociopathic 'human" corporations gonna sociopath.

2 Likes

Boeing gonna make shareholders rich. It’s all that matters.

Why else would they sell their crap to evil mothereffers in Qatar, Saudia Arabia, UAE, etc…

1 Like

Boeing 737 Max 9: Two airlines find loose hardware in jet inspections

4 Likes

wow. looks like they do indeed have a hard time grasping even the core-concept of nuts and bolts anymore.

2 Likes

Here’s another take on this.

I find it really interesting that there’s no consistency in which bolts are loose - it seems to vary from one plane to another. This suggests (to me, anyway) that it may not be a fundamental design flaw, but rather a case of sloppy assembly. (Of course, it could be both.)

4 Likes

like a bicycle, which gets delivered by mail; “please tighten screws before first use”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.