Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun heads for the exit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/25/boeing-ceo-dave-calhoun-heads-for-the-exit.html

6 Likes

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by NETFLIX

10 Likes

Calhoun said in an interview on CNBC that the decision to step down was “100%” his decision.

Well the mandatory retirement age of 70 was quickly approaching …

He is 66.

11 Likes

There he goes, sailing off with his golden parachute, instead of a BoeingTM one.

14 Likes

espn simmons GIF

4 Likes

Would anyone trust a Boeing parachute these days?

9 Likes

That image! chefkiss

3 Likes

I’ll take the low-hanging fruit: His exit will be quick and easy - there’s no door.

8 Likes

I’m sure he was told there was no pressure.

6 Likes

Curious to how big his golden parachute is. Do a great job as CEO get big bucks. Do a shitty job, get slightly less bucks.

8 Likes

Any company that gets too be so dominant that its existence and success are viewed as eternal will stumble and fail.

I’m sure there’s a name for this idea. “Calhoun’s Law” or something like that.

3 Likes

Mollenkopf is like a professional corporate board member. He sits on several, including Dell I think. He used to be Qualcomm’s CEO. So…I have complete faith that he will fix everything (/s).

9 Likes

It’s scary how, while I don’t fly that often, every time I do, the plane is a Boeing. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Well at this point, it’s almost certainly going to be either a Boeing plane or an Airbus plane. Monopolies and near monopolies…who could have predicted they would cause so much trouble? (spoiler: almost everyone, including the US government well over 100 years ago)

9 Likes

Well, as they say at Boeing. When one door closes, another door falls off.

15 Likes

It’s been ages for me. I’ve found myself on more and more Embrauer E195s for regional flights back when I was travelling.

3 Likes

Perhaps to underscore one little negative tidbit, David L. Calhoun ain’t being blown out the exit until “the end of the year”. Nine months and a bit o’ change to affect not a lot of change where change is grievously needed

Boeing CEO David Calhoun will step down from the embattled plane maker at the end of the year as part of a broad management shakeup after a series of mishaps at one of America’s iconic manufacturers. linky

4 Likes

The news of his retirement is the only thing that is important to Boeing right now.

Stock is up is the change they really wanted.

5 Likes

Hopefully his golden parachute will have a hole in it the size of a Boeing 737’s door. :rage:

5 Likes

That doesn’t even make sense! I could see him arguing that their training is worse (in the absence of evidence this would be a prejudiced supposition, but I can see it being made). But experience? Why would they fly less than American pilots?

3 Likes