Boeing plane makes emergency landing at LAX — again — after tire trouble

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/boeing-plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-lax-again-after-tire-trouble.html

4 Likes

Leslie Nielsen Nothing To See Here GIF - Leslie Nielsen Nothing To See Here Disperse - Discover & Share GIFs

9 Likes

nothing surprises me anymore;

9 Likes

I know it’s popular right now to pile onto Boeing’s problems but honestly, a low tire pressure warning indicator on take-off is not a story. Nor was continuing the regularly scheduled flight from DFW to LAX an “emergency landing”.

Can we get some perspective here please?

14 Likes

I hope they understand that “our emergency indicators don’t work” is not really a reassuring statement.

9 Likes

If Boeing totally coated the plane with gaffer tape, it would probably make the aircraft safer; though, only if they taped over the all the doors and didn’t let anyone aboard.

6 Likes

To be fair, I can’t see how tire trouble is anything but a maintenance issue. And presumably a pretty routine one - there are redundant tires for a reason.

2 Likes

but thats the thing; the tire was ok, but the sensor gave false data.

3 Likes

This comes a week after the tire of another Boeing plane, this time with United Airline, flew off right after take-off, prompting that flight to also make an emergency landing in Los Angeles.

The tire didn’t fly off - the entire wheel fell off the axle it was attached to. A tire is dangerous enough but the wheel adds rigidity and mass to the unguided missile.

4 Likes

Did it, though? What I’m reading is that the pilot initially interpreted a low pressure indicator to mean that the tire had blown, presumably because blown tires are a common occurrence, but that turned out to not be true. The tire reportedly was, however, flat. So the sensor… wasn’t wrong? That still leaves open the question of whether the pilot was wrong in their interpretation of what the sensor was indicating, I suppose. Or that this was not actually a story at all, except that an “emergency landing” was made out of an abundance of caution, and it just happened to be a Boeing.

3 Likes

Thats a poor quality tape job. Lots of wrinkles and bubbles, and places with less than 60% overlap. I’d do a much better tape job

6 Likes

United is responsible for maintaining their aircraft. This isn’t a Boeing issue - the record of the 777 is exemplary.

1 Like

I generally have a lot of trust and respect for BoingBoing, but when I see that a photo of an Airbus was chosen for an article about Boeing, some of that trust and respect is lost. And the article is supposed to be criticizing a company for their poor quality control?

1 Like

Yes an Airbus A320 and a Boeing 777 dont look much alike. Derp.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.