Tire falls off jet departing San Francisco, crushing vehicles in parking lot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/08/tire-falls-off-jet-taking-off-from-san-francisco-crushing-vehicles-in-parking-lot.html

10 Likes

8559220a-a927-48b4-8a65-5b7d3b2f95db_text-2358657856

14 Likes

Did the plane land alright, or was there another little mishap?

5 Likes

John Oliver did a great show about safety problems at Boeing just this week. Sometimes I wish he was not so prescient.

8 Likes
20 Likes

tire? or the whole damn wheel? in terms of weight there is quite a difference.

7 Likes

Boeing 777. Remember kids: If it’s Boeing, I ain’t going!

Edit: Also, United. A Boeing aircraft with a United maintenance crew. What could possibly go right?

10 Likes

That movie was so wonderfully weird…

6 Likes

I’m brave enough to admit I cried watching Rubber.

4 Likes

It landed fine. It was diverted and landed immediately, rather than continuing on to Japan, where it was headed. There is redundancy designed into the landing gear, so losing one wheel isn’t close to being catastrophic. Well, not for the people on the plane, anyway. To anything that wheel hits on the ground, it’s going to be pretty catastrophic.

13 Likes

Yeah, I found the footage.

8 Likes

The animators of that scene: Physics? What’s physics? Never heard of it.

3 Likes

I think Frauenfelder had a premonition about this event yesterday with that extra tire in his image. :thinking:

3 Likes

BOEINNNNG is the sound it makes when parts bounce off the ground.

7 Likes

I’d blame this on UAL maintenance and NOT Boeing, but you know how the science/space/aviation/technology (et al) illiterate news media will spin this.

Kind of funny how it happened right next to one of UAL’s largest maintenance facilities at SFO.

5 Likes

Headline correction, the plane was not departing San Francisco. SFO is in San Mateo County.

1 Like

:musical_note:The wheels on the plane go down and down, down and down, down and down.
All through the lot.
The cars in the lot go smush smush smush, smush smush smush, smush smush smush…:musical_note:

1 Like

Half of the Philadelphia Airport is in Delaware County- not Philadelphia Combined County and City.

It’s still the Philadelphia Airport

6 Likes

The news report said it landed two hours later at LAX. SFO to LAX is approx one hour flight, so presumably, they were heading north over the ocean before getting a heads up they gotta turn around. And why not back to SFO?

Edit: Yep, headed north along the coast, then back, then west out to sea for a bit, then south to LAX