Passenger videos plane wheel disintegrating during takeoff

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/passenger-videos-plane-wheel-d.html

5 Likes

That’s a type of redundancy we can all get behind.

18 Likes

Thank God for redundancy.

If only executives could understand “being inefficient” (“we’re using up twice as many tires as needed?”) can save a lot of unhappiness, even on less safety-critical systems…

[Edit: Sniped!]

13 Likes

the moment that wheel dropped off, omg. if i was on the plane i think i’d feel justified having a freakout.

6 Likes

Meh… the Dash-8’s are derived from hard-core Canadian bush plane tech. You can feel it when they land in choppy weather, it’s a fairly “planted on the runway” feeling…

My sister spent some time in the north with a pilot who kept a fold-out wallet with the photos of his many “hard landings”… the last one apparently due to using a helicopter to try and pull a snowmobile out from a hole in the ice.

At least they didn’t have to do an extra pass along the runway to clear the caribou off first.

12 Likes

your mileage may definitely vary.

1 Like

Airlines are really getting draconian about weight limits.

10 Likes

Taking a cue from the U-2, with takeoff gear on the wings that gets immediately jettisoned on lifting off. That would make an airliner landing interesting, to say the least.

6 Likes

Thanks for the AbFab – I had no idea that Siouxsie and the Banshees song was actually Bob Dylan’s!

3 Likes

Okay my eyes popped out of my head just watching that fall off

And I make Aerospace parts for a living! :disappointed_relieved::astonished:

5 Likes

Any aviation experts on BB want to chime in on the failure? Was it a wheel bearing? That’s the only thing I can think of that would heat up the hub so badly that the wheel would fall off. If it was a brake malfunction you’d think the pilot would abort takeoff due to the uneven drag.

2 Likes

Wondering where the wheel landed (who it landed on)?

3 Likes

Let’s hear it for Jazz improvisation!

4 Likes

It looks like it came off so soon after takeoff that it probably just bounced down the end of the runway.

4 Likes

I wonder if the pilot deliberately set that side down last.

2 Likes

“Er… excuse me, Steward? Those drinks are complementary, right? Okay, keep 'em coming.”

7 Likes
5 Likes

Above, surely?

1 Like

indeed. make them doubles!

2 Likes

My hands would probably be shaking hard enough to cause a drinking problem:

6 Likes