'Boil the Frog' creates a seamless playlist between any two musical artists

11 songs to go from The Monkees to XTC, even though Andy Partridge wrote a song on the most recent Monkees album.

Bing Crosby to David Bowie in 15 songs, which is particularly odd since they actually recorded something together (admittedly not released on an album).

Also, stupid algorithm doesn’t know who Thelonius Monk is.

1 Like

Voivod to Taylor Swift in 16 moves.
Honestly, the jump from No Mercy to Lou Bega seems rather disingenuous, though.

http://static.echonest.com/BoilTheFrog/?src=voivod&dest=taylor%20swift

1 Like

Cyndi Lauper to Janelle Monae is only 6 steps (and they chose Dance Apocalyptic, which is awesome.)
The Monkees to Foxy Shazam is 13 steps, with lots of artists I’ve never heard of in between.
Tom Jones to Finger Eleven is 15 steps, through both Barry Manilow (nope) and the Beautiful South (yes!)
Celine Dion to Dethklok is only 13 steps (and Cyndi Lauper is one of them.)

This is fun… and dangerous to my data plan… :roll_eyes:

It’s on

tumblr_inline_muvt6ugLmV1qg3jn1

3 Likes

Tell me if you beat 37

One of them was a duplicate so it’s really 36.

Edit: Now it’s giving me 29 songs. After a few bypasses I got a provable 35.

2 Likes

Uh yeah, I’m gonna need that for Coca-Cola’s nice app for ostensibly Pakistani music! How about Air Supply to King Emperor Tomato Ketchup (with or without Sadè) then? Eagle to The Gnomes? Tupping liberty, not Eagles, just Eagle. Kite to Phillip Glass no problem. http://static.echonest.com/BoilTheFrog/index.html?src=Trump&dest=Troll 21 songs…yeah it’s not gonna optimize that for ya, thanks be.

1 Like
1 Like

Still more efficient than the 8 steps it takes to go from Vanilla Ice to Queen.

1 Like

Burzum (Norwegian black metal + church burnings) to Lee Greenwood (God Bless the USA) - 32 songs

3 Likes

This is way too much fun. It couldn’t find Gangstagrass though boo - I want to hear what songs could possibly bridge the gap between them and like, Lorde or something.

A couple of idiosyncrasies: start with Vangelis, and the next two songs are nearly always something by Jon & Vangelis and then Jon Anderson; start with Philip Glass, and the next song is always ‘Perpetuum Mobile’ by the Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

So pleased that Parry Gripp to Ladytron (20 songs) includes Tom Lehrer and Arrogant Worms.

Soul Coughing seems to sneak in more often than not.

Dwarves in the bakfiet, all the way down. Quratulain…Humera Channa not so well indexed. So you noticed they don’t have D’Cuckoo listed? And that KMFDM…Sia manages to drop in Saint Etienne midlist? Gotta tweak the player to knock out cheesy drums like that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.