DJ Earworm: 100 songs from the past decade in one mashup

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/decade-of-pop.html

5 Likes

Downloaded and will watch eventually.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the 7th level of hell, don’t ask how I know that…

13 Likes

Oh! Is that the one we’re all living in?

6 Likes

basically this

4 Likes

Uh, because that’s the radio station your kids insist on listening to whenever they are in the car? I get it.

6 Likes

No Gangnam Style? That’s weird, right?

1 Like

Actually, there are exactly 19 frames of Gangnam Style from 00:44:17 to 00:45:10 (that is, from 44 seconds, 17 frames to 45 seconds, 10 frames, inclusively).

By the way, can someone with a sharper ear confirm that every song that is featured in the video track is also featured in the actual audio track? Thank you.

4 Likes

It’s in there!

EDIT: Ninja’ed by @Logolepsy

4 Likes

Not bad. I didn’t catch any Lorde, which is a shame. My favorite DJ Earworm is still “No One Takes Your Freedom” (blocked here on “copyright grounds”).

4 Likes

This is an incredible amount of highly detailed work putting this all together. Seriously, bravo.

5 Likes

Right where it should be too.

2 Likes

I’d really like to see the monitization bot melt-down trying to figure out who should get paid for that video.

5 Likes

I think that’s Lorde at 1:14-1:15 but I didn’t hear any music (which may be what you meant).

3 Likes

Pop songs or not, I can’t not dig a DJ with some good transitional skills.

Dude was seamless; fucking kudos.

7 Likes

DJ Earworm is a national treasure.

3 Likes

Not only is he seamless but in many of his mixes (I haven’t heard this one yet) he actually mixes the disparate songs into a coherent sequence of lyrics. That’s some next level shit.

7 Likes

“Watch it before a Youtube copyright enforcement bot deletes it and DJ Earworm’s channel with it.”

If they haven’t messed with him yet I don’t know why they’d start now.

I’ve looked forward to his yearly “United State Of Pop” mashup since at least 2009. (Upon review, I think it was 2008.)
He always manages to use the Pop formula to elevate it beyond the source material, creating something greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe it’s just me, but he often seems to capture something ineffable about the year’s zeitgeist, though I’ve found recent years to be a bit underwhelming. (Hmmm . . . maybe that says something in itself.)

8 Likes

That’s what he did with this mashup; it’s pretty damn impressive.

5 Likes

As an aged curmudgeon, my first thought was, “Well, that’s autotuner for you; all these songs sound the same to begin with.” But, as I said, I’m old and curmudgeonly; so I’ll be off to list to some Napalm Death.

12 Likes