'Boil the Frog' creates a seamless playlist between any two musical artists

7 Likes

Only 10 songs from Capt Beefheart to Pink Floyd. Unfortuantly I only have a free Spotify account so I can only play it in shuffle.

1 Like

http://static.echonest.com/BoilTheFrog/index.html?src=Zamfir&dest=Kraftwerk

I broke it too, and on the first try. I am surprised at the artist which broke it!

ETA: I am less surprised, but Moog Cookbook also not found.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am seeing that compilation albums as well are used as “connector” nodes.

17 steps from Necrophagist to Tom Jones, and it’s all metal bands until “Movie Music of 2012”, and after that it’s all pop bands.

The system needs to filter out compilations and movie soundtracks. It’s cheating.

2 Likes

Cannibal Corpse to Amy Grant in only 17 songs! Thought the path to hell would be longer.

Eartha Kitt to Alpha Blondy in only 10 songs, the Carter Family to Asha Bhosle in 13 … but I can’t believe this freaking thing doesn’t know who Gabby Pahinui is! (I actually couldn’t get hits on any of the Hawaiian artists I tried. Auē noho‘i!)

Radium to Steps in 32 songs.

Both were chosen because I remember Smurf playing songs by both of them at Judgement Day years ago. I don’t think he would have taken 32 songs to do it though.

I entered SPK and Erskine Hawkins, and got “Sorry, Can’t find Erskine Hawkins” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Tried it again with SPK and Tito Puente, and this time got “Sorry, Can’t find SPK.”

Miles Davis to Can could’ve probably been done in 2 hops, not 10.

Pink Floyd to Metallica: 9 songs. But they cheated and picked the worst two songs from both bands. Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 to Nothing Else Matters. WEAK! Very depressing. I wish we could pick songs to force the real deal - Paintbox to Trapped Under Ice, I’d hope that takes at least 30 tracks and that would be a crazy journey.

I’m not sure why it took 15 songs to get from Swervedriver to The Life and Times but that journey looks really cool so I am gonna take it…

Prodigy to weird al yankovic - can’t find Prodigy?? I suppose they only do this for bands that they are allowed to play?

4 steps from this

to the Disney Princess Christmas album?

I think I broke it.

1 Like

That there is pretty insane. I figured that some friendly deity would just appear on the screen, wave its magical wand and make Amy Grant disappear. She is dangerous.

Should have tried Kringelbert Fishtybuns.

I thought I was doing well to get from Gene Kelly to Sir Mix-A-Lot in 20 songs, but then I noticed one of those was Ralph Fienes reading Just So Stories — bridging Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame to Dennis Miller’s America 180° — so I told it to bypass Ralph and it reduced the list to 18.

I am creeping up there with Glenn Gould to NWA with 28.

I suspect the way to get there is not only to use artists whose musical styles and instruments are disparate but also use artists without a lot of music on Spotify.

The most I have seen so far is Radium to Susan Boyle (37 songs). It really seems to struggle with that kind of hardcore.

Yeah, I kind of think that the optimal picks would have very few albums (i.e. less exposure to the algo) and be on the fringe of a genre (like an obscure subgenre). Separated by time so far doesn’t seem to change it much, but it might.

I want that mix tape

1 Like

Jethro Tull to Sia is only 10 songs. Huh.

G-Dragon to Miles Davis was 24 songs.
X Japan to Conway Twitty in 26.
Too $hort to Beethoven in 22.
NWA to Yanni in 20.

I want to find a 30+ match.