'Boil the Frog' creates a seamless playlist between any two musical artists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/22/boil-the-frog-creates-a-se.html

4 Likes

Very nifty! Also takes 23 songs to get from Beethoven to Bob Marley.

2 Likes

Huh - bit surprised that this didn’t connect between Nancy and ICP.

1 Like

I went from Black Sabbath to L7 in 16 songs. En route, we visited Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, and Lisa Loeb.

I somehow doubt this was the shortest route.

4 Likes

Raffi to 2 Live Crew in only 16 songs.

3 Likes

well shit, TIL that Spotify has a web api. That’s pretty rad.

1 Like

Yeah, during a certain period, everyone wanted to sound like Black Sabbath here in the North West US. L7 came along shortly after.

2 Likes

I’d love to see the algorithm.

From Arlo Guthrie to Red Hot Chili Peppers in 9 steps, with a path that includes The Muppets and Primus (only 5 steps apart).

Robert Johnson to Run the Jewels is 20 steps. I feel like that should be shorter.

3 Likes

RTJ 3 and 2 I actually bought in physical form - which is rare for me this day and age.

Damn, getting over 20 is pretty hard. I found that non-English bands stretch the distance a little, so found a few 21s and 22s, but finally hit my record of 25 with Buena Vista Social Club to Insane Clown Posse

1 Like

It found a path from Dire Straits to The Skatalites in 9 songs. But to be honest, the frog would have noticed being boiled around midway, when the music jumped from Robert Palmer to UB40.

4 Likes

LOL - My two favorite bands too one hop:

KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezabel
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - After the Flesh (Crow Soundtrack)

1 Like

Only 10 from Stockhausen to Tiny Tim. (Via Steve Reich and [David Byrne/St Vincent])

Brian Ferneyhough, alas, is unknown to Spotify.

3 Likes

Throbbing Gristle to Patsy Cline in sixteen tracks with pit stops in proto-punk.

I can already tell I’m gonna have fun with this one.

2 Likes

I might. I’m obsessed with them right now.

Putting in Weird Al to just about anyone kind of makes this system worthless.

1 Like

“Sorry, can’t find Bevis Frond”

worth finding

If there is any artist who could be considered as having followed a tangential path from Hendrix to Big Star to Spacemen 3, that would be The Bevis Frond…and that’s not hyperbole, the evidence is to be found in countless albums over 30 years of thrilling musical innovation that few have matched. Filtered through The Groundhogs, The Who, Neil Young, Captain Beefheart and Kevin Ayers, this is an iconoclastic collision of distinctly British psychedelia, space-rock, grunge, slow-burning soulful laments, even grizzled folk and more than occasional moments of sublime pop genius. Yet, he remains the best kept secret in Rock ‘n’ Roll – isn’t it about time you discovered one of England’s finest songwriters and insightful lyricists.

1 Like

Also, if you refresh the results page, it changes the song choices (but not the artists).

4 Likes

I entered in two of my favorites, Moondog and Funkadelic, and there was something odd about the result.

First of all, it placed Pete Seeger as Moondog’s immediate successor in the list, which just doesn’t make sense musically.

But what was really weird was that the recording of Martin Luther King Jr.'s “I Have a Dream” speech was the “musical” link between Paul Robeson singing “Old Man River” and Mahalia Jackson’s rendition of “O Little Town of Bethlehem.” That’s just bizarre.

Sure, MLK’s sonorous voice delivered speeches with much musicality, but is the “I Have a Dream” speech really necessary to get from “Old Man River” to “O Little Town of Bethlehem”?

4 Likes