Boingcoin

Wait a sec, I assumed we’d get drugs in proportion to likes for good posts… buying likes, I’m not down with that. See IRL.

1 Like

I mentioned I’m now a badge holder right???

1 Like

It’s a “po-mo performance art shit”, thank you very much!

:stuck_out_tongue:

To “mine” any kind of crypto currency you have to have your machine perform endless calculations. You could re-brand litecoin as boingcoin, since that’s really all dogecoin (and coinye, etc.) are anyway.

The value of crypto currencies is determined by the fact they’re a finite resource that requires real-world resources (CPU/GPU cycles, power) to collect. You can’t have ‘elders’ determine who gets what because then the work:payoff ratio would be inconsistent and monetary systems need consistency.

Hmm, tell that to Wall St…

I absolutely can’t refute what you say other than to mention that I’m not so concerned with copying what others have done and more interested in seeing what the technology can be bent to.

1 Like

Says the top-hat-wearing-spats-sporting-monocled-cane-wielder…

2 Likes

At least he’s towing the line. (I’m guessing fat cats tow lines of coke or something so really it’s quite an impressive feat).

1 Like

I forgot to mention the white gloves… Just what is he trying to hide? Sticky fingers, perhaps?

2 Likes

Gift economies are said, by some, to build communities, and that the market serves as an acid on those relationships.

Gift ideology in highly commercialized societies differs from the “prestations” typical of non-market societies.

…discussion …of a separate sphere of gift exchange that would constitute an economic system, has been plagued by the ethnocentric use of modern, western, market society-based conception of the gift…However, … anthropologists, through analysis of a variety of cultural and historical forms of exchange, have established that no universal practice exists.

back l8r

What could go wrong?!

1 Like

or a giant LITERAL 3D-PRINTED BOOTLEG ARDUINO-CONTROLLED shit on you.

Are we trying to reinvent whuffie (except for the awful name) ?

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from… a kind of good-will currency that you earn for doing/making things that add to the perceived goals of BB. I once met a dude who had this precise idea, but for trading skills in the creative arts. The idea being that I say, edit a music video for free, but I earn points for doing it. I can then go back to the community and hire people with different skills to work on my project using those points. It’s a very good idea, but I was too lazy to make it happen and he wanted me to dev it for free.

I think the problem you may encounter doing that is disagreement on what the goals of BB are. Flamewars happen over the strangest things here (well, anywhere on teh interwebs) so I can only imagine deciding who gets what for what would be an equally confusing battle :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve been kinda off this topic for the last couple of days, real busy (super-double-honest promise) but the conclusion I’m starting to come to is that the ‘payment’ idea doesn’t mesh with the gift economy idiom.

The common Zeitgeist is that you earn/acculmulate shekels to represent, somehow, the work you have done. I think, the conclusion I’m coming to eschews this very notion of being ‘paid’.

It’s more like; earning value for the projects you wish to see completed. Results rather than reimbursement. (oooh, super trekky (I know))

Now, my math skills suck, like, outer space suck. But my physics used to be strong and my logic is, well, a shambolic shadow of its formal self but it’s still kicking ass in the free world. I don’t think this is beyond me, or really, any of the boingboing community (did I mention how much I love it here?).

I intuit an (eventually) different formulation of value exchange which I am currently too undereducated to fully realise. Others have done the research and I must grok their shit before I can progress any here.

So, this is a page where I will post my musings on the research I’m reading (it’s meta so there are no time limits) until I hit the major snag everyone else seems to be predicting; or I can force myself to formalise it into a logic diagram.

I fully expect to be able to leverage psycho-historical value systems into a digital ecology.

That is all.

1 Like

Fuggit, Ima watch the Dark Crystal again.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, but I imagine none of us want you to hit that snag. Constructive criticism is, notionally, a time-saver :smile:

2 Likes

Yo, the line is toed. Don’t ask me why…

1 Like

‘Well, I never.’
{always thought it was a fishing expression, like, doing the expected work)

1 Like

Hello everyone, my name is miasm and I am a snarkaholic…
[chorus] Hello miasm.
nonono, let me finsh, I am a snarkaholic and it’s all your fault!

1 Like

I’m not but it seems to be an interesting corollary to the concept of eschewing traditional value systems. Cory’s idea (and I’m really just going off the Wiki article here, haven’t had the pleasure of reading the book) seems to be another shekel collection process. Instead of work the future humans are concerned with earning kudos (I have read the Algebraist and I don’t mean Banks’ Kudos).

The central entity that earns in my notion is the thing being worked upon and ‘it’ accumulates value in perhaps the reverse of the way in which a ‘bundle of rights’ is associated with a property. Instead of there being a bundle consisting of a measure of ownership related to the contributory aspects consisting of such things as the ownership of the land, (Allodial and leasehold), those who designed, built and repaired the property or even those who supplied the raw materials; the donation of work to the thing which is accumulating value would ‘earn’ or more accurately associate the contributor with more of a usefulness quotient. (again something I’m coming to terms with so not fully realised).

Reputation in the realm of socially determined value is slightly different in that it can be wildly manipulated by those who are already replete with whuffie or whom were born into fabulous lives or to groovy families or are beautiful or ultra-Machiavellian or whatever.

That’s kinda why, in the beginning, I was so obsessed with developing a specific (if made slightly malleable by the context and participants of the project) metric to determine what value is being created as the project is developed. Something which I’ve kinda put on the back burner. For now, anarchists, for now.

1 Like