Book Shaming

I recommend reading the first one (Beekeeper’s Apprentice) first. After that, the sequence doesn’t really matter. There’s a new one due out early next year.

A lot of fans of Conan Doyle’s Holmes canon don’t like King’s Russell stories-- she takes the Holmesian misogyny and turns it right over-- but I find them wildly amusing and quite refreshing. They’re very well written, and the mysteries presented are wonderful.

1 Like

3rd from the right.

6 Likes

Urgh. I can’t imagine what they’d be like if I had studied them. In my experience, what would make them more enjoyable would be making them about 75% shorter.

3 Likes

This reminds me of the true shame in our household: one of my daughters has arranged the hundreds of books on her wall-to-wall bookcase by color of spine.

I can’t even.

11 Likes

My mother-in law arranges books by height.

When I’m over for Xmas I’ll re-arrange them by color, and it drives her and her daughter up the wall.

I find the color transitions a pleasing effect, and much more interesting that a gently-sloping horizon-line.

If you’re not going to sort by subject, author, and title - why not go color?

4 Likes

Well, I could find something to read on that shelf, but it wouldn’t be the Rushdies. I enjoyed Midnight’s Children, and I managed to work my way through The Satanic Verses, but most of his work just leaves me flat. It may be that I don’t properly appreciate the culture.

I agreed with Robert Towers’ review of Shame: “Some of Mr. Rushdie’s devices misfire; others are so exaggerated that the reader simply backs away, untouched and unamused. The false starts, loose ends and general extravagance of the tale can become irritating. The theme of ubiquitous shame is driven home at times with all the subtlety of a street-drill.” (I cherry-picked that quote; his overall review was positive.)

1 Like

& @chgoliz - mine are organized by height/colour & how much I like them. LOL

4 Likes

Mine are organized by little disorganized piles. Everywhere. :smile: :frowning:

8 Likes

(first world complaint warning) - my cleaning lady moves my book piles into other piles and I spend a lot of time looking for the book I was reading the night before… :wink:

2 Likes

Viggo, Ed, Jeremy and Renee in a hard boiled western?!?!?

1 Like

There probably aren’t more than 20 books in the whole world that I’ve started but never been able to finish. But that’s one of them.

3 Likes

http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/02/05/a-rainbow-of-books-organizing-by-color/

2 Likes

As someone greatly inspired by From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, I think I approve.

3 Likes

Eeeh, if I’m feeling in a tidying mood (not often, cos I don’t, you know, mainline speed any more), I’ll arrange mine by size, but otherwise they just go on a shelf. It makes it so I might not find what I’m looking for, but I’ll find something interesting.

Out of likes on a book thread?

4 Likes

I desperately need to organize my shelves. This is the shelf near my desk:

Compared to @OtherMichael my books are in heaps.

ETA: I feel the need to defend my possession of a Mehmet Oz book: It was in a bargain bin for 50 cents and I wanted to see how bad it was.

4 Likes

I have that A+ book!

1 Like

NB: I have never posted a photo of mine own shelves.

Yet.

I have a few sets of shelves, and no one set would give an accurate representation of my shame.

7 Likes