Boomers are news-illiterate couch vegetables stuck in front of their yelling, ad-saturated TVs

Oh wow,I just realized…

They added that qualifier as a sop to their older audience, who may not like the idea young people are out-reading them. After, it’s the olds who pay the journalism bills, right?

I think they didn’t read their own research.

1 Like

You know that PBS has an evening news show which often goes into depth on stories not well covered elsewhere, right?

2 Likes

That wee little “intentionally or not” is a fractal equation that iterates into an ocean of terrified presumptions about why young people read so much.

5 Likes

True - but it if I have to explain that most Genx’ers are in the forties - the joke doesn’t work. “Generation X birth dates from 1965-1980”

2 Likes

Could someone let me know which level of humorous irony and sarcasm this post and thread are on? I was thinking Level One, but now it’s looking more like Four or Five…

12 Likes

One of the sad things about the total context-collapse of the internet is that no local context is truly possible anymore. I’d hazard that most the readers here come equipped with the nuances – but those that don’t define the parameters of discourse.

We’re fine, though, because BBS is generally pretty nice. But this headline anywhere else on the net would be met with a towering wall of rage (and be blamed for generating it.)

hey I wonder how this post’s doing on facebook.

12 Likes

What’s Facebook?

11 Likes

Have you heard about irony, or even sarcasm?

1 Like

The only way to talk about vast numbers of people is to generalize. It’s when we apply those generalizations to individuals or small groups that gets us into trouble.

4 Likes

Twitter is going great

4 Likes

Millennials are destroying avocado toast and boomers are destroying news. Thank god, I’m not either. Generation-Xers are apparently perfect (or maybe we’re just too cynical to destroy anything).

11 Likes

not having an account there I can only guess… but I think of it like Youtube… NEVER LOOK AT THE COMMENTS.

5 Likes

You’re not wrong
https://mobile.twitter.com/List444/status/901105264136409088

13 Likes

The day that people don’t read social media and just have the information uploaded into their brains is the day I form a commune with no internet access.

I’m not sharing my brain with 4chan.

11 Likes

Until I was 40 I was definitely not a boomer, since I was born after the post-war “baby boom” ended in 1957. But at some point it became fashionable to extend the term to people born before 1964, which is kind of nonsensical if you actually know people born in 1963 and people born in 1955. Very different eras, mostly because of television - Sesame Street came on TV in late 1969, when boomers were too old for it.

Anyway, boomer or not, I used to read two newspapers a day, three on thursdays, plus I’d listen to radio news for at least three hours every weekday, plus I’d watch the 11:00 TV news.

I gave all that up many years ago because it was harming my health. I only read the comics and listen to music now. I don’t even read BBS Trump topics except occasionally by accident. I still read a great many books, online technical journals and research papers, but I don’t read in political science.

Weirdly, I am constantly told I am politically very well informed. I don’t think it’s true, although I score high on political and social knowledge tests like this one. I suspect my knowledge of history makes me seem more politically aware than I am; I see the same old patterns repeat again and again and again…

15 Likes

Fuckin’ A; Do NOT want.

12 Likes

The forgotten generation - Generation Jones.

4 Likes

There’s not enough of us to make a dent in any trend. ::sadtrombone::

3 Likes

3 Likes