Border Patrol detains 9 year old U.S. citizen for 36 hours after falsely accusing her of lying about her identity

Thank god she was, presumably, a dual citizen. Or her mother is a citizen of Mexico. If she were just an American child in America with American parents she would have been truly fucked.

3 Likes

ICE imprisonment and harassment of brown children at the border, to me, is like cavity searches for drugs. There isn’t even close to the potential for harm from the crime that even comes close to justifying the enforcement technique. That’s not even getting to the harm caused by "false positives. "

6 Likes

This is fascism, plain and simple.

They have made an enemy, they have concentration camps and they have been authorized by the supreme court.

5 Likes

Border Patrol doesn’t remotely seem to give a shit about “legal,” much less “moral,” especially these days.

7 Likes

There are actually people who think The Handmaid’s Tale can’t happen here.

1 Like
7 Likes

The children were being driven to school, as they apparently are each day:

“When they got in line at the border at 4 a.m. Monday, traffic was moving slow.”

Huh? I’m upset about the little girl being detained away from her parents, but I’m also really confused why she’s leaving for school in the middle of the night. I can sort of understand why the border patrol agents would question two children alone at 4 am. Maybe I’m naive but that doesn’t seem like a normal occurrence to me.

A lot more than four.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/us/border-patrol-acquitted-involuntary-manslaughter.html

And then we have all of the people dying in ICE custody…

https://www.aclu.org/report/fatal-neglect-how-ice-ignores-death-detention

6 Likes

Because it routinely requires hours to get past the Border Patrol thugs.

They did not just “question” them. They falsely arrested them, then imprisoned them for a day and a half.

8 Likes
1 Like

This is just one county:

3 Likes
4 Likes

If your plan is to turn MAGA fans, you’re going to have to do a bit of video editing to make the young lass more CA blonde, and less Mexico brunette (and maybe change to name to something more “American” like “Johnson”… /manIwishitwassarcasm

2 Likes

Here in SW Florida, school buses routinely begin picking up elementary school children at 5-5:30AM. Since they bus each age group separately (elementary school, middle school and high school) it’s the only way that they have enough buses for everyone.

1 Like

It IS. Pressuring anyone into a confession under duress is illegal. Doing it to a child is evil beyond words

2 Likes

There are many reasons that the family may start the day at 4am, the main reason being that it can easily take three hours to cross the border.

The story may be somewhat misleading, as well.

It would not be surprising for the family to have gotten into the car line to cross the border at 4am (like every other morning) and then realize at 7:30 am that it was taking longer than usual and the kids are going to be late to school. So, mom drops the kids off where they can pop over to Chaparral (aka PedWest) which would take a minimum of 30 minutes to cross at that hour. Then the kids could catch an Uber over by the outlet store mall that’s right next to PedWest on the US side.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.