Border Patrol detains 9 year old U.S. citizen for 36 hours after falsely accusing her of lying about her identity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/20/border-patrol-detains-9-year-o.html

10 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Vaccine trials

Fucking hell. What is wrong with those officers?

28 Likes

It should be illegal to detain and question, much less pressure a minor into a confession or even making a signed statement without the presence of a parent and/or lawyer.

41 Likes

But she is brown, and not-rich and near the border, so obviously…

Nothing. Obviously this asswipe was behind on his quotas and saw a brown girl. MAGA, am I right?

14 Likes

The stomach bile I have in my throat right now could cut steel. I need some fresh air…

tumblr_mlczvi77WC1qix8rno1_400

21 Likes

If I were that girls lawyer, I would have her go through that checkpoint again, this time armed with a subpoena, for both the CBP agent, and a blank one for the agent’s immediate supervisor. In addition I would include a discovery request to include all surveillance video of the day in question, to be delivered under seal for an “in camera” review by a US district court judge.

Generally CBP is given a lot of latitude in how they run their affairs, but that can quickly turn sideways if they piss off the right federal court judge.

13 Likes

This seems like an appropriate spot for another history lesson:

More in thread.

22 Likes

I hope the Medina family are able to sue the ever-loving fuck out of CPB and Donald Goddamn Trump.

9 Likes

Answer: Officers.

5 Likes

So the MEXICAN CONSULATE had to rescue a child who’s a U. S. CITIZEN from the abusive U. S. Border Patrol.

The MEXICAN CONSULATE. Thank heavens its staff were kind and helpful. As most Mexicans are.

This is so shameful. So very shameful.

39 Likes

And then the officers were fired?

16 Likes

The cruelty is a feature, not a bug.

13 Likes

nothing says rule of law like literal kidnappig

5 Likes

I think you know EXACTLY what is wrong with them.

2 Likes

Yeah, the worst thing about reading this headline is that it is actually a wedge issue / purity test / whatever. We are all terribly upset with it, but it’s not like it’s going to change any minds. Trump’s core followers think this is a reasonable price to pay if they aren’t outright pleased by it.

8 Likes

The turning point in the Vietnam war was when the MSM began showing footage of war, and of corpses.

We can only hope it works that way today.

6 Likes

Turns out Trump’s border emergency in my neck of the woods is a 9 year old citizen.
Fucking hell, man.

12 Likes

The same thing that’s wrong with the world these days, just distilled and allowed to ferment in the tight spaces of their tiny minds.

I would like it to stop before we get to the corpses stage… if it’s not already too late.

Also, at the time of the Vietnam war, we weren’t being inundated with a barrage of 24-hour news cycles, and partisan filtered and spun “news sources.” People had a chance to focus a bit before the next outrage popped up. Now? It’s a war of attention/attrition.

4 Likes

Four so far.

1 Like