Boston school district switches to a more accurate world map, blows kids' minds

I can never work out the appeal of the Flat Earth “Theory”; if it is true, then what would be gained by suppressing it? Also, if it is true, where do the Nazis park their UFOs?

10 Likes

My school in my geography classes we had a standard sized globe, i want to say we had 2. Didn’t really take up that much room and was pretty effective for lesson plans. I’d say a projector would be more versatile but definitely not something every school may be able to afford in every classroom.

1 Like

I can’t hear that voice without seeing this face:

7 Likes

Shaq could narrate.

This will be good. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

They’ve got bases suspended from the underside of the earth.

6 Likes

Gondwana always sounds like some form of ancient dinosaur VD.

4 Likes

Well, the two largest countries in the world do look rather squashed…

For some reason, this reminds me of the time my Grade 2 teacher in Melrose Park (Philadelphia suburb) took the globe(!) off the shelf to show me how much larger the USA was than Canada. Didn’t get too far in persuading me that way, I recall. (We moved back to Montreal the next year. I had to play a fair amount of catch-up in Grade 3.)

5 Likes

Canada is slightly larger than the US, by 1-5%.

The US is tied with China for 3rd largest country in the world.

2 Likes

Nice! Are there any other projections of this map? I’d be interested in seeing one that shows the rest of the turtles. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

All of these negatives could also be viewed as positives, in that the difficulties involved simply illustrate and highlight the nature of the earth rather than trying to find ways around them.

For me, if the goal is to alter conception-through-geography, nothing beats the upside down map. Had the shower curtain for a long while. Certainly, there is something deeply sacrilegious about allowing up to not be north (a big pet peeve of many, which I generally agree with), but it does really make you warp your brain a different way.

1 Like

Yeah, followed by Brazil and Oz. I already knew this, even then. What blew my young mind was that my teacher didn’t know this.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this. This is one of my favorite scenes from TWW.

2 Likes

I have never been surprised at what teachers didn’t know.

Disappointed, always, but never surprised.

7 Likes

That’s where you stick a torch up one nostril so the light shines out the other one.

7 Likes

I had very few slack-assed teachers in Montreal, not even in primary school - maybe a handful with fingers left over. Looking back at it, that was surprising in itself.

2 Likes

1 Like

If only there was this superglobe that let you measure things, zoom in, search for landmarks, and more.

If only.

7 Likes

Whelp, I see my work has been done here even before I arrived.

1. Dymaxion joke? Check
  2. Globe joke? Check
  3. Imperialism jokes? Check, check, and check

Now if you will excuse me, I need to head over to the free-est country in the world, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (it’s in the name, it must be true!)

10 Likes

This is obviously a “your budget may vary”; but Google Earth is one of the things that makes those ‘smartboard’ touch sensitive whiteboards really well.

Project the ‘globe’ large enough that everyone can see it; but still be able to ‘spin’ and otherwise gesticulate as you could with a physical globe.

5 Likes

Maggie Kitler has no further territorial demands to make.

4 Likes