This excellent video from 1947 uses a grapefruit show map distortion

Originally published at: This excellent video from 1947 uses a grapefruit show map distortion | Boing Boing

8 Likes

What’s wrong with just turning the globe? I mean, if you do make the hollow one you’ll need to turn yourself to see them all, which has the same effect but is harder to do.

The video is a cute find. I wonder what projection the turnip map actually corresponds to. They compare it to Mercator, but that actually has the poles blow up vertically as well as horizontally. It’s a difficult hour to think through the mathematics right now, but maybe it ends up being Plate Carrée?

3 Likes

#mapparium to the rescue:

1 Like

Obligatory

https://www.google.com/search?q=xkcd+map+projections&rlz=1C1AZAA_enUS751US751&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=33ZH8UWAkCBMJM%2CL55bmo7_Qpa5bM%2C_%3B6RVzrye9cP7M-M%2CaRuLZ-Zde7V-lM%2C_%3BwUDV9gPPZwBxeM%2Ccnnv14T9mvWCpM%2C_%3BTIXZB5KKpr2gtM%2ClU3Jxwb6r5T05M%2C_%3BxEatIydj_dSy0M%2C1Cre6v8O9eIBLM%2C_%3Bsx0s1JaXOcQxmM%2CHO_EuAT8054ONM%2C_%3BPXQgW6vTAfq2BM%2CtKOfMLQCpKs6OM%2C_%3B1Bf6WILGv3gS8M%2CVPVR0KK6Y4vFFM%2C_%3B0TRn_WgwVnCJiM%2Ctq687a2XvPYaIM%2C_%3BO3Km_oHDX1hCFM%2Ca1_SVrCkFUId7M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS40j1c0WNPHiO21dXoPb5Q1S_LQA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjspo7D9MLzAhUkM30KHSiZApwQ9QF6BAgNEAE#imgrc=O3Km_oHDX1hCFM

10 Likes

First, I have so many fond memories of National Film Board (Canada) movies. So many seem chosen with love and intent, and their quirkiness and diversity seems that they are chosen by people that like film, and not by a committee seeking the lowest common denominator.

Second: It’s so easy to digitally manipulate images today, that seeing somebody do physical approximations actually helps , me at least, understand the concept.

Source: LIFE Science Library Mathmatics 1963, by David Bergamini, photos by me.

Images like these and film show are the rabbit-holes that have likely guided people down areas of study and research that they would not have found had it not been for them.

5 Likes

NFB FTW

All time fave: The Cat Came Back

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.