Boy finds massive woolly mammoth tooth outside Ohio inn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/boy-finds-massive-woolly-mammo.html

9 Likes

Boy if that tooth could talk…

12 Likes

I hope the finders-keepers rule applies and he does get to keep his find.

11 Likes

One of the intriguing things about elephant teeth is their evolution. Elephants are functionally ungulates, indeed, the most ungulaty of ungulates, with the largest fermenting stomach and the toughest plant-based diet, and of course teeth designed to deal with the constant wearing down that a heavy plant-based diet causes.

But they’re not ungulates – they’re not even dimly related to them, so the strategies that their teeth developed to survive that diet happened in a completely parallel evolution to all the other hoofed mammals that surround them.

28 Likes

Mammoth tooth aren’t especially rare. You can buy one for a few hundred $/€.

They’re kinda brittle though. Once upon a time I bought a few for the guides at the museum to pass around for visiting school groups. They didn’t last very long.

13 Likes

Hen’s teeth, on the other hand…

10 Likes

“I would like to have my tooth back in my hands as soon as possible."

A Woolly. Mammoth. Tooth.

I shudder to think what kind of tooth fairy would show up… much less what she…he… it!!?… would leave under his pillow. Pleasant dreams, little boy. Pleasant dreams.

12 Likes

It would tell us the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth! :laughing:

23 Likes

Beelzebub and his dastardly trickery

1 Like

Nah, that’s dinosaurs. We know that cavemen and mammoths were cavorting around together somewhere’s about 6000 years ago right?

2 Likes

Dentine in Ohio.

We may never know whether losing that molar marked the beginning of the end for that mammoth - or if it was dislodged after the end.

I had to look up woolly mammoth vs. mastodon, so in case anyone else is interested:

8 Likes
5 Likes

Well, Wiki sez the very last ones died out about 3,500 years ago on Wrangel Island, so … yes?

On the other hand …

An estimated 150 million mammoths are buried in the frozen Siberian tundra

… and the Arctic is melting (and burning).

ZOMBIE MAMMOTH APOCALYPSE!!!1!

9 Likes
1 Like

God. Please. Anything but this (waves hand at news).

2 Likes

not forgetting the sabra tooth tiger effect

Oh, wait . . .

Man, you folks with your facts and all. Just have to ruin a perfectly good young earth creationism joke…

2 Likes

I have the feeling @pesco missed an alliteration headline. Something something mammoth molar.

Also, currently reading Jasper Fforde’s Early riser, still waiting for a mammoth to turn up. He seems to like mammoths. I, for one, am not sure I ever would have liked to meet a herd of those. The closest I got was Loxodonta africana at approximately three meters, and I had enough of that to tell the story for a lifetime.
If anyone is interested: don’t let them get between you and your Hilux. Not that a Hilux is safe, but it feels much better. (Also, it was not perceived as a threat by the heard, which was great.)