Boy Scouts of America to allow transgender boys to enroll

Here’s my advice to you, one Eagle to another. If you are still interested, contact the local council and ASK. They hardly ever turn down help. It sounds like you were in a conservative troop. Not all troops are going to be chartered by conservative organizations.

The thing about Scouting is that it teaches us that we all have to work together, even though we are different. So, yes you will find people who hold views that you find abhorrent. But the Oath still requires you to “help other people at all times”. How much easier would life have been for you as a Scout if you had an adult volunteer who understood?

Unfortunately, due to the abuse scandals, councils are leery of childless adult men, gay or straight who volunteer. A former co-worker of mine who was a DINK, was asked to leave despite 30 years of volunteering, because a man, even married, but with no children registered in Scouting was considered “odd”.

2 Likes

Depends on the state, maybe? We had one volunteer who was never married, childless, etc. who there was no issue with at all. Stand up guy, owned an auto shop, took care of his elderly mother.

I live in a blue state, though. YMMV.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. A theoretical Kumbaya Scouts might sound great, but it wouldn’t be very successful.

I recall us having one such a guy as well. He also was a little weird, and didn’t bathe terribly regularly.

There was some regular shitbags in the troop that picked on him a lot. I know for a fact one of them was only there because his mom used it as babysitting.

I am not suggesting any particular narrative when I say this, just a statement of fact. That sensitive, somewhat unkempt, effeminate guy grew up to be a Marine.

3 Likes

Yeah, the guy in my troop is now an investment banker. Pulls down more money in a week than what most of the other guys in the troop would make in a year.

3 Likes

They couldn’t actually give us "no food’ so it was a half sandwich of whitebread with institutional peanut butter.

1 Like

During my ordeal we got no food, except the kids with diabetes. They were allowed to carry around their glucose packs.

1 Like

Now, how would that situation play out if you were an adult volunteer and you saw it?

Former Eagle Scout here, BSA Troop 810, circa 1976. Nobody should have to wait to be an old person like me for simple acknowledgment and acceptance. Way to little, way too late.

9 Likes

Very differently. To say the least.

4 Likes

Does the bitterness make you feel better? Does it affect your likely long dead Scoutmaster? Did you learn nothing positive in your years of Scouting? Do you want boys like you to miss out on learning skills that will follow them for their entire life because of something that happened to you 40 years ago?

1 Like

Mr. McIntyre was a stand-up guy, as were most of the leaders. I had many good experiences. I learned enough to know that BSA hasn’t lived up to the oath I learned. My boys are doing fine without it, but it is a shame (as in shameful) BSA isn’t there for them.

10 Likes

Apple with gubbyment peanutbutter on it.

Then again i like institute peanutbutter. Probably not healthy for me.

I remember being confronted by our senior patrol leader after he’d been outed in school for being caught with a classmate making out. I was making jokes (because it’s in good fun rights guys back me up here right? … Right?) Looking back I’m glad he had the courage to confront me being an asshat about it because as soon as he gave me context I felt pretty shitty. We never ended up friends since guy was a bit of a dickhead, but we weren’t on bad terms either… If that made any sense.

Edited to clarify I didn’t out him.

9 Likes

Campfire kids…

http://campfire.org/experience/inclusion

4 Likes

Sometimes adversity has a side-benefit of building character. Learn to scoff at the assholes. Other times, it leads to shit like Columbine.

A few years ago, I told his dad about this (I worked for his dad for a few weeks, straightening out their tech situation, before I got a real job). His dad said the kid never mentioned being bullied or wanting out of the Scouts. A few days later I called the kid and told him I was sorry. He laughed and told me he’d never have the determination he does today without the bullying. I’m not sure I believe him, but I do know that today, he doesn’t give a flying fuck what his peers say, and does what he thinks is right. Even if it’s bad for him.

He’s an investment banker, but he deals mostly in renewable energy, and monetizing the Amazon by preserving it.

There are some very rich people who want to make sure there’s enough Amazon around to look for new drugs, and to trophy hunt in if it ever becomes legal.

7 Likes

After just one week in office — arguably the worst opening since The Adventures of Pluto Nash premiered in 2002 — Trump has exposed such assurances for what they are: the kind of lies that supposedly smart people tell themselves to feel better about a catastrophe they know in their bones is looming.

11 Likes

A good first step toward the BSA rejoining the movement proper, rather than almost all of worldwide scouting treating them like that weird cousin you keep at arm’s length, and only speak to at family occasions when absolutely necessary.

7 Likes

just remember to always say ‘thank you’ when accepting anything sharp.

4 Likes

That might be the issue. Is the BSA not a right wing christian organisation? Would this not be a very easy way to id transgender youths, make a list?

1 Like

It wasn’t supposed to be, though I gather that their antigay stand pissed off those who were not right wing and xian. IIRC, they do officially exclude atheists.

3 Likes