Trump gave a weird speech to thousands of Boy Scouts in which he relitigated election & crowd sizes (again)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/24/creepy-trump-gave-a-super-weir.html

2 Likes

A scout is:
Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

I may have skimped on a few of those in my day (obedience is only as good as whatever orders you’re given, and not being reverent is a victimless crime). But it’s like a laundry list of antonyms to everything tRump is.

The scout oath goes:

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to god and my country, to help other people at all times, and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

That tRump even has a place to speak at the jamboree is rather laughable, seeing as he seems to be doing his best to harm others at all times, has literally no honor, is physically pathetic, mentally deranged, and morally crooked as the hindquarters of a whole pack of jackals.

48 Likes

38 Likes

I’m an Eagle Scout and did it as an agnostic in the '80s (no easy feat) and I feel this is a ridiculous forum for Trump to reiterate his poltitical agenda and exagerrations.

It makes him look ludicrous and is a disservice to the kids and leaders there for a scouting event, not a rally.

30 Likes

Tolerant urban scout troops exist, but they are not representative of the organisation.

19 Likes

Surprised he didn’t ask for donations at the end…

12 Likes

You’re not being fair to the hindquarters of packs of jackals.

12 Likes

I’m an eagle scout. I’m familiar with the comparison. One way a lot of troops in my area avoided it was to explicitly be non-political in nature.

13 Likes

If he had, he should have just cut out the middleman and asked the LDS church for money directly.

4 Likes

At this point I think he only knows one speech, no matter what the setting.

33 Likes

Also an Eagle Scout here, one of three in my family (the only non-gay one, actually).

Even though I grew up and still live in a Blue state I recall a lot of the kids in scouts coming from pretty conservative leaning families. A lot of kids that stayed in scouts until Life scout or higher ended up in the military later on. Not to mention that a lot of top executive leadership in the BSA are mormons (and an increasing number of scouts on the tail end of my time as a scout). So it sorta makes sense that they’d want the arch-conservative president come talk at the jamboree.

Even if according to their own values, he’s not a good role model.

13 Likes

At first I was sad, then the tweets and replies about this made me laugh. A lot. That helped.

6 Likes

I’m surprised that he didn’t take the opportunity to boast about the size and handsomeness of his penis. We know that he’d like to. It’s quite a penis, at least according to some very influential people. It went to Wharton, and impressed more than a few, in it’s time.

7 Likes

Which is related to the problem of apolitical “reasonable” Christians.

From the outside, it looks like the organisation is composed of (a) aggressive extreme-right bastards and (b) decent people who try to keep a low profile but who do not meaningfully resist the bastards.

You’ve got a Sturmabteilung-substitute going over there as well now:

Trump is collecting the full set.

10 Likes

Oh FFS, “Proud Boys”?

They do realize that’s what they call castrated horses that haven’t figured out they have no balls, right?

41 Likes

Well…it seems like an accurate moniker to me.

22 Likes

Says a lot about the BSA’s leadership that they even invited him in the first place, doesn’t it?

I made it to Life Scout and basically quit when their anti-gay policies hit the news, because it seemed to utterly antithetical to how I was taught to be a scout. I kept going to meetings and on trips because my friends were there, but all effort toward advancement stopped. I didn’t realize I could be more disappointed in the organization, but this takes the cake and then some.

15 Likes

Times are a-changin’ though. In recent years the BSA has ditched their longstanding bans on gay scouts and leaders, allowed trans boys to join, and is now seriously considering restructuring the whole organization so girls can join too. (I only heard about this one because I recently signed up as a den leader for my son’s Cub Scout troop and they’re scheduling meetings nationwide to discuss the subject in a couple of weeks).

Unsurprisingly the Mormons appear to be distancing themselves from the organization as it becomes more progressive.

26 Likes

It probably shouldn’t be read as an endorsement since every U.S. President since 1910 has been the honorary President of the Boy Scouts. Disinviting him would have made a powerful statement (one I would have supported) but I imagine BSA’s national leadership was hesitant to break with a 107-year-old tradition.

24 Likes

Everyone relax. It was just locker room talk.

13 Likes