Head of Boy Scouts gives public apology for Trump's weird speech on Tuesday

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/27/head-of-boy-scouts-gives-publi.html

5 Likes

Do you even ENABLE? Jeez Carla!

The Personality Disordered don’t attain power by themselves ya know! I takes an army of codependents, apologizing when they deserve the apology, to pave the way.

17 Likes

I get why any non-partisan group would say this and hold to it “For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters”.

Here’s the issue…at some point you have to say “enough is enough” and take a stand.

16 Likes

31 Likes

I think that is exactly why the Boy Scout episode will forever be a backfire of biblical size for tRump.

12 Likes

This apology is bullshit. It should not be to those who were offended. It should be to all the scouts (even those who love Trump) because it had no place there. The continued apologies aimed at only those offended only serves to further the whole anti-PC crowd. It assumes that the behavior would have been fine if only people hadn’t been offended by it.

58 Likes

also they are threading the needle here by having the ‘chief executive’ give the apology rather than the president of the BSA who happens to also be the CEO of ATT - who needs trump’s support for his merger with time warner. although apparently randall today said he “wished trump had not gone poitical” or something like that.

18 Likes

We are ALL SORRY!

6 Likes

Is this an apology at all? I think its a ‘i’m sorry you were offended’ type document. What is he saying he did wrong? I’m not seeing anything.

Some possibilities he ought to be considering:
This president isn’t normal, and it isn’t appropriate to invite him.
We must be ready to immediately cut the President off when he tries to turn our jamboree into one of his hateful campaign rallies.
We must be prepared to immediately rebut the lies and hateful statements of this president, because, come on, we all know he is going to make them.
Because we failed to immediately rebut the president we will rebut him now, put him in the context of our organizational values, and show how he is the antithesis of those.
etc.

Many possibilities for realizing what he actually did wrong, proposing how he won’t do the same next year, and attempting to undo the damage.

23 Likes

Bullcrap response and weak apology. Effectively Scouts have been taught that the Scout Oath and Scout Law matter only when backlash forces you to respond. You can set them aside when inconvenient to your political stance or ability to close a big business deal. As an Eagle Scout it is really hard to watch the cancer that is Trump spread to institutions like the BSA.

23 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s enough of an apology to offend Trump supporters.

I suspect it is, a la “you don’t have to apologize for Making America Great Again!!”

10 Likes

I’m an Eagle Scout and appalled at the reaction of the scouts and leaders in the crowd so Michael Surbaugh should be admonishing them in addition to apologizing for allowing the farce of Donald Trump’s rhetoric. According to the Boy Scout law, scouts are to be:

• Trustworthy
  • Loyal
  • Helpful
  • Friendly
  • Courteous
  • Kind
  • Obedient
  • Cheerful
  • Thrifty
  • Brave
  • Clean
  • Reverent

The effectiveness of the BSA in instilling these values in their charges (with possibly the exceptions of “Clean” and “Thrifty”) is in serious doubt as the crowd was actively showing signs of approval to the words coming from this bloviating nationalistic xenophobic homophobic no-class excuse for a human being who sees nothing wrong with alienating males that aren’t all of American, straight, white, and Christian, of which there were many in attendance. The Boy Scouts accepts boys and leaders who acknowledge the existence of a god, not just the Christian god. For an organization that claims to be non-partisan, they clearly don’t attempt to veil those colors.

23 Likes

“For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters.”

i recall some ejected openly gay scouts and scout leaders who probably would beg to differ…

33 Likes

I’m not sure why he’s apologizing. Shouldn’t that come from Trump himself?

Out of curiosity, has Trump ever apologized? For anything?

I mean, I suppose he must have done, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend holding your breath waiting for it to happen.

6 Likes

These are nothing but paint color names in the Trump household.

8 Likes

Aggregately referred to as “shit brown”.

2 Likes

But honestly, I’m not sure why he’s apologizing. Shouldn’t that come from Trump himself?

File photo of offended person waiting for Trump to apologize:

13 Likes

Scout leaders expected Trump to act up. Fully intend to invite him back for the next jamboree if he is still president despite what he did.
These people now have zero moral authority. It isn’t about politics, its about the values that the Scouts claim make them who they are. These guys have abdicated all responsibility for the integrity of the organization. Yet another institution offers up its soul for Trump to feast on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-exclusive-boy-scouts-chief-expected-fiery-trump-000253354--election.html

12 Likes

Trump (played by a young Henry Winkler)…

Anytime someone says “I’m sorry to the people who were offended”, I stop reading. It’s not an apology.

20 Likes